F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

Amazing work as always Marcel, I've just gone back through the whole build thread, and now I'm inspired to do an aggressor viper, I've got the older style makings from afterburner. 

But the paint job and detailing you've done is top notch, I'm really looking forward to seeing more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Online pics of the real thing, although taken relatively shortly after the aircraft was painted in this scheme, show that there is already quite a bit of weathering on the jet. It's not Navy-like but definitely worthwhile to represent. Especially the black seems to have received quite a bit of touching up and there are two shades of the black, one being a touch brown.

Here is my take thus far on the weathering. This is just the paint discoloring, oil streaks etc. will follow later on.

iemrMR.jpg

YTI0qb.jpg

RGNEKr.jpg

JiWlaM.jpg

tk1PIk.jpg

I am about ready to put the model aside so as to catch up with all of the things under wings.

Cheers,

Marcel

Here are some pics, after washing and weathering.

I have noticed that the black paint on the real deal is pretty non-uniform and can tend towards a brownish-black. I added some brown to black to create a custom mix and applied it in a non-uniform way.

UdiWYZ.jpg

z3BjOz.jpg

KF5dOf.jpg

The Two Bobs decals are very nice, kudos to those guys for delivering so many great subjects over the years. One thing to watch out for on this sheet is that the very light gray markings are printed white. Very quick and easy solution is to overspray them with some very much thinned down black (not gray, else the area around the decals will appear lighter which may even look like a silvering issue).

d3KrOW.jpg

In the above pic the area around the gun seems a little too faded... I took those pics in pretty intense light, the effect is a little exaggerated in the pics. Nonetheless, I wonder if I should reduce that effect a little.

Thx for looking,

Marcel

Ahh the perfect update for my Sunday morning coffee! I traveled back a bit for a refresher too. Would have to say I honestly noticed that area around the gun before reading your note on it. Knowing your work though I figured it was that way on the real thing. I’d say go with your gut on it and if it seems too light tone it down some. There’s been 2 Thunderbirds for sale on the boards lately, now I’ve gotten the bug again to buy one lol, must resist! Keep up the great work :popcorn:

On 12/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, themongoose said:

Would have to say I honestly noticed that area around the gun before reading your note on it. Knowing your work though I figured it was that way on the real thing. I’d say go with your gut on it and if it seems too light tone it down some. There’s been 2 Thunderbirds for sale on the boards lately, now I’ve gotten the bug again to buy one lol, must resist! Keep up the great work :popcorn:

Thx for all the encouragement! I have actually resprayed that gun area, it looks better now.

Here are the tanks, they are almost complete. I thought I'd go for a really weathered look on these, they didn't get to go through the paintshop with the aircraft.

pnFE3D.jpg

Here are the Aim-120's on the launchers. The missile bodies are from the Tamiya F-15E kit so they have the correct blunt nose. The wings will be from the Cutting Edge sets, i.e. they will be beautifully thin and with the appropriate c/s:

MLHGEf.jpg

The wings will only be attached just before I mount the pylons to the wingtips. Note the primer "showing through" a little on the tip of the launchers.

at9ia1.jpg

I noticed some of the CATM Aim-120's in Jakes' book have dayglo orange back ends, so I went with that to add a bit more color.

Cheers,

Marcel