F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

3 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Great "Save" Marcel!  I bet 99% of the modelers out there would never have noticed the fuse windows, but what you've done with the covers is way more realistic for a missile on a parked jet anyway.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chuck

Yep, I missed it at first.

Steve

26 minutes ago, A-10LOADER said:

This is probably a load training missile.

Steve

I found a couple of pics on the 'net of an AIM-9X with 2 blue bands and fuse windows on a parked F-15, but they are super rare.  At least it proves that Marcel's memory wasn't failing him, because they do exist, but are generally not typical.

Cheers,

Chuck

It's all hangin' on the model now... the X looks like it does in Jakes's book, Jake's book is the last word and that's that ;)

NgxD8n.jpg

Also note the finished little Elta jamming pod:

bPBTqc.jpg

XkufC1.jpg

2mSiBJ.jpg

Here's a look at the completed ACMI pod:

LUdr16.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

I have a few of those Zacto aim-9x's along with the aim-9m's, they are just amazing.  You really did it justice!  I really like the weathering job and they way you blended the camo work.  Sometimes that camo looks to stark for the real thing but you really got it down.  It really sets it apart...

Bryan

21 hours ago, Finn said:

If it were a load training missile, the other launcher would have been prepped as well, at least that is we did it.

Jari 

Not necessarily. I know in our Load Barn, we only had one of each training munition so, if it's a load trainer missile that's probably all they have available. We only prepped the stations we would be loading and, all the loads were given a specific time restraint for what you would be loading. Plus if you can load one missile successfully, then there is no need for redundancy and like I said, they probably only have one training missile.

Steve

Edited by A-10LOADER

Thx guys!

Chuck: I somehow ended up with a substantial inventory of resin ACMI pods from various manufacturers, all of which were very warped. I used the nose sections of the resin parts and scratch-built the rest. Aim-9 and ACMI diameters translate into almost exactly 4mm in 1/32 scale, so I used 4mm styrene rod as a base. Those band things are made by cutting some very thin styrene strip (or sheet in my case) to the appropriate width and to a length of 15mm or more, then tack-glue them on, making sure they are tack-glued identically with respect to each other. Once the tack is dry, wrap the strip around and cut to shape. You'll get the hang of it. If you make one of those later pods with the additional rods sticking out at 80 degrees, you'll need to also make the tiny plate things they are mounted to on the nose. Final note: I am super duper careful when sanding the nose to body joint, else the straight cylinder shape will be impaired. I place the assembly in a drill and rotate at low speed while sanding to ensure I get a concentric result. I made a total of three of those pods since I have some more aggressor projects lined up.

Bryan, thx. I think one of the keys to this scheme is to vary the black up a little, there are quite a few shades of black on the real deal, often times with a slight brownish variation. I did the same on my model. Oh, and the light gray markings are printed white on the Two Bobs sheet and definitely require a light overspray, not doing that would create an off-looking result.

Steve, thx... glad you notice those little things :D

Cheers,

Marcel

Thx Anthony, very much appreciate the  encouraging words!

Here's a better pic of the ACMI pods, since there was some discussion about it:

Pryhgq.jpg

Also, I did finish the Sniper pod. This is the Eduard version, which is nicely detailed and very tightly produced such that the gaps around the windows are kept to a minimum. However, the window and leds section seems very undersized. I initially tried using the front section of the Academy pod but the fit of the lens to the body isn't the best and I ended up making a hash of gluing that together.

BR5sgW.jpg

As you can see from those pics I am about finished with the model, next update will be the done deal!

Cheers,

Marcel

What an amazingly beautiful pair of Vipers!

You put in an enormous amount of effort into these birds! The detailing is spot on, looks like something I'm used to seeing on the flightline.

The splinter camo on the AK Aggressor is beyond words can describe, I love it!

Edited by JAWS