WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

...and it is written, that on the eighth day, Karim, was created and all the plastic ticklers in Heaven and on Earth rejoiced! 

Von JawontheFloor :frantic: :innocent: :thumbsup:

Baron, your lordship is too kind!

I'm out of words to describe this work. J will say it is some of the most inspiring work here. Your level of craftsmanship shows us all what to strive for.

Tony my friend thanks for the kind words!

I learn from all you guys and am always in awe at the stuff you guys build... gotta try keeping up with you guys's building quality and talent  :bow:

Looking very nice indeed Karim, are you using the Aviattic stuff on the wings as well or are they WnW decals as your pictures show the decal work on your wings are very dark compared to the fuselage decaling showing a much lighter blue hue?

Regards. Andy

Hey Andy!

Yes indeed i am using the Aviattic decals on the wings, i haven't used any of the wingnut wings decals on all the build. I think the way things look in the previous photographs is a bit misleading as the decals do look a bit different due to the different colored undercoats of paint but they are not that much different. I have used a lighter version on the top of the fuselage, a bit darkened on the side and much darker on the bottom of the fuselage, for the wings i did the same, and maybe that's why the top part of the fuselage looks lighter as the sides and the top wings are almost the same... i hope today's photos i will be posting, and that i have taken in better light will show better the differences and similarities in tones and colors for the wings and fuselage...

thanks for following along and taking the time to leave a word!

I know nothing about WWI planes, but that doesn't matter - I know quality when I see it..

Rich, thanks for the kind words... Quality is what i would call your B17 diorama my friend!

thanks for leaving a word!

Well guys

time for an update. On our last build report, i had left the wings to dry off their gloss coat which cured hard after i got back from my layover in Brussels, so it was time work on the upper outer wings.

The Aviattic decals laid down beautifully with no problems to report, as they always do. On the other hand i have continuously been running into trouble with the wingnut wings kit decals, although them being printed by cartograph. I do not know why they have a tendency not to want to bed down correctly even with the help of some micro set microsol to help in adhesion. I have learnt some moons back not to use walthers's solvaset on those as it seems the setting solution loves etching into them, more specifically into the black part of the wingnut wings kit decals, so all i was armed with was patience, some judicious slicing to help in the decals conforming, and the micro system. Overall i am not very happy with how the German crosses went down, even on top of the topglossed Aviattic decals. I tried best i could, and still managed to have a small tear here and there on the Balkenkreuzes that i left as is an tried to weather in. At the end of the day they seem to have well blended in with postshading, a filter and some dusting, but i would consider next time carefully using my own paint masks on top of the glossed Aviattic decals to get a better result. I applied a pinwash of dark brown to the hatches and for weathering i airbrushed some very thin browns and buffs around the outer part of the wings and then toned everything down with a filter and the satin coat.

I also have started work on the rigging by putting the eyelets in the lower part of the outer top wings, and have completely rigged one of them and will start work on the second one when i come back from my 6 days off back home. In today's photo posts i have just placed the outer top wings in place and let them rest on the struts wether those were in their locating holes or not, just for the sake of getting an idea what she's going to look like all decaled and almost done, and boy this is a BIG aircraft for world war one... I can hear Ernie in the background saying : hey boy you wait till you get to work on the Gotha or the Felixstowe and yes Ernie i know hahaha the AEG is relatively the smallest of the twin engined bombers/boats...

That in mind, i ran into a bit of trouble trying to photograph the kit in its entirety bearing in mind i am using a 80cm x 80cm lightbox. I am enjoying the challenge though.

Another thing of note, as Andy has pointed out, in the previous photos the wings look kind of darker than the fuselage covering and i do not know why they turned out that way in the previous photos. The difference is not stark at all as you will see in today's posts. I blame the lighting at the workbench vs the lighting in the photo lightbox which is much better. A word of truth though, the fuselage is somewhat lighter, specifically the top part as i tried to work some color modulation into it by varying the lightness of the underlying coat of paint making it darker on the sides (which is the same as the top of the wings) and a bit darker at the bottom of the fuselage (which is the same as the overall tone of the bottom of the wings). Let me know if it shows better in the well lit updated photos!

This build is getting to it's closing stages and i have already started tinkering around with the kit boxes that have a special calling in the stash but still haven't made up my mind regarding which one to work on next. I am still waiting for Tony, Ernie and Brian to figure out what they want to do so we can maybe coordinate a similar aircraft type of build thing...

I have added all the bells and whistles in a couple of photos (the props and the guns) to give you guys a teaser of what she will look like once completed...

The 'end of a build' void is fast creeping in, i think this model is one of the longest running builds i have done to date, not to mention the one that has had the most detailing and effort put in, and i am glad you guys have enjoyed following along the trials and tribulations. I do hope this build will be helpful in the future for anyone wanting to build wingnut wings's fantastic representation of the Gotha G.IV and i hope i was able to contribute to the community, however small this contribution is.

This is not our goodbye closing post type of thing yet, on the next update i will hopefully have the weathering tying up all the aircraft together in a uniform fashion, and have the rigging finished. I will also let you guys know about any last minute snag details and how the rigging has progressed. If there is any area that merits more light shed on, just drop a comment and i am here!

Girls and boys, till our next update, stay safe and happy modeling as always

Karim

Uhhhhhh.....Love the contrast that you did on the wings, and the leather work.............LOVE IT ALL!!!!

Absolute Georgous!!!!  :wow:  :bow:  :clap2:

jessica-alba3.jpg

Teresa  :D

Gorgeous indeed Teresa  :doh:  :lol:

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a word.

I bet you this photo of Jessica Alba will prop up the viewing count lol  :P  :lol:

Karim

Wow Karim, great update and lovely pictures, everything is coming together so well and I see what you mean about the tonal differnces I mentioned earlier is just down to lighting.

Fantastic job and cant wait to see her finished.

Regards. Andy