WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

Hey gang!

Just landed back in Doha and tomorrow is off. Tinkered a bit for an hour with the AEG after unpacking planning tomorrow's work ahead so i started with snipping off the middle top struts that join the fuselage to the top wing (where the fuel tank gauges are) in order to sense how I was going to modify the prop guards to make them thinner and i found one of the struts completely bent out of shape. No stress marks from the sprue shifting in the box during shipping nothing. The "one" strut plastic looks to have the same density and color as the rest of the part so I don't really know.

What are your recommendations for tomorrow should i dump the strut in hot water or are there any other recommendations as i figure this being styrene I can't handle the part as if it was resin. Pictures below to illustrate the problem!

Thanks boys!

K

F154C791-FF8B-497F-ADE8-7E8D9AB851B8_zps

03C2D57D-1ED9-4A5F-BD9B-AF02CC3EAD5F_zps

Edited by karimb

In a case like that, WnW will send you a complete new sprue free of charge, I'm sure.

Their warehouse manager/shipper is a member here as well, BTW. Dave Johnson is his name.

Cheers,

Ernie

+1 Dave is a great guy, and will get you what you need. 

Thank you Karim for the detailed explanation on using your Silhouette for cutting the decal material, makes perfect sense to me!  I have gone back a couple of times now to re-read through your thread, mind boggling stuff here.  The fact you are building this "on the road" makes it even better, if that is even possible!  Stunning work. 

Disclaimer:

I am in the process of moving all my modeling photos to a privately owned server. I don't want to be bothered anymore with hosting my photos on 'memberships for sale' or freebie sites that might shut down or screw their members and blackmail them like photobucket has done. The only way my photos will now disappear is if my apartment burns down or if i am cut off the net. I don't know how i am going to relist all of them on this thread, how long it is going to take or the way i will be reposting them. As i do not have the possibility to view the order in which i had posted them, i will probably post them in the order that makes most sense (i have saved folders for each post on the mac) and might have to place all the photos in sequential posts in the middle of the thread while deleting the previous posts with photos. We'll find a way around all this uncomanded c**p. On another note work has been going on on the AEG with the engines permanently glued to the wings. Wings permanently glued to the fuselage. Engine to fuselage struts painted and rigged and started working on the top wing.

Guys you all take care in the midst of this mess. Stay zen!

And of course keep modeling!

Karim

Karim, if you want photo sharing to work reliably from a server in your house, you're going to have to pay for a dedicated IP address from your ISP (provided they even allow that), and then purchase a domain name that can be bound to it via DNS, so that you have a URL to link the photos with. It's actually not that easy to do, but I wish you luck and hope it goes to plan.

Kev

Hey guys 

sorry this is going to be very quick, just got home it is 0300 local time and i am exhausted.

Worked all day yesterday out of Munich on a layover in order to reorganize the photos after downloading them and getting rid of my account on PB.

As Kevin mentioned it in the previous post, the setting up of the private hosting server out of my apartment is going to take longer than planned, not because of hardware issues (I've managed a donor laptop but the problem is its going to run most probably on linux and i am an IOs guy), but because of IT issues that need to be solved by someone who has more knowledge than i have. Help is on the way albeit not in the near future. In light of these developments (and not having enough time to take a crash course in server programing on linux) i have decided give a new home for my images online, independently of how my personal server scheme develops. I have decided to cough the cash on smugmug and to be honest i haven't stopped being impressed since i opened my account there... superb facilities, superb options and lightning fast speeds for uploads. What a breath of fresh air after the repetitively depressing episodes on photobucket...

I have taken the difficult decision of not reuploading the photos on alot of my old builds except for the ones that were works in progress and that would be of benefit to potential builders of the same aircraft type or scheme. The previous individual photos i had posted on the AEG thread were all replaced by galleries that sum up the section, but starting the next update post the images will be again posted on the thread as individual embedded photos, and so will be on any upcoming build or RFI threads. I think this is the best option short of having to repost every single photo on every single aircraft build in the past.

I hope you guys will find this solution not to be too much of a hassle as everything posted previously on this thread is still here for reference but just grouped up per section...

On another note, ALOT of progress has been made on the AEG, and i will be detailing it all up in my future post either tomorrow or the day after once i arrive to Madrid for another layover... This whole PB bulls**t episode just mangled everyone's plans up and i guess we all have to readjust and this takes up alot of time we could have rather spent in updating our build logs or checking in and leaving comments on our friends and fellow LSPers build threads... Life goes on i guess...

Thank you all for you patience,

Let me know your opinion wether my solution of grouping photos worked for you through this thread or if you think it would be more beneficial to take the time to embed them one by one again...

Till our next update, stay safe, keep that smile on your face and happy modeling as always

Karim

Hi Karim,

I've really enjoyed following this thread.  Trying to embed every one individually sounds like a hassle.  I didn't find it difficult to understand what you were doing with the grouped method.

Gaz

Sounds great Karim!  Like you and Ernst, I have the free 14 day SmugMug trial, and am loving how professional their site looks, acts, and how much control you have over display, uploading and especially social control and security over pictures. 

Im 99% sure Ill be going with SmugMug too.

Looking forward to more progress!! 

Karim-

I followed the link and like the others had no problem at all following along.  I am happy to see that the accompanying photos to this build are not lost, it would be a real shame for all of us to lose the WIP photos on this build!  I am staggered by the quality of your work as well as the photography, and doubly so as a lot of the work is done from a hotel room!

Brilliant work Karim, looking forward to the next installment!

Karim, if you want photo sharing to work reliably from a server in your house, you're going to have to pay for a dedicated IP address from your ISP (provided they even allow that), and then purchase a domain name that can be bound to it via DNS, so that you have a URL to link the photos with. It's actually not that easy to do, but I wish you luck and hope it goes to plan.

Kev

I'm sure you know that, when your IP adress is randomly changing according to your ISP's allocation rules, DynDNS is the way to be always found, Kev...

Hubert

Looking forward to seeing it, Karim. I opened a SmugMug account, and am still trying the free 14 day trial, but I will be using hem for sure. I need something to work with iOS, as I use an iPad and iPhone for LSP. My desktop I use only for business, billing and such. I don't want my desktop getting infected with a virus.

I will need to get a new iPhone though, as I need iOS 8.0 minimum to run SmugMug apps.

In the meantime, I'm using my PB account to take pics and do basic editing, then emailing them to myself for upload to SmugMug. Hopefully, I'll learn Lighthouse and that'll help.

Ernie, update coming your way tonight...

To be honest, the smugmug app is good to upload stuff but you cant really edit the stuff the way you can on the website, which is a bit of a shame but it's too be expected from an app...

I am really happy with how smugmug is working and i even managed to create a sort of a 'homepage' for my modeling stuff which is kind of cool too

The felixstowe is beautiful my friend i keep getting back looking at the photos you have posted... it's a real monster. i don't know what i will be doing with the two i have in the stash now that i realise how big they are!

thanks for dropping by my friend!

Looks awesome! That is the same thing I did Karim.....i actually purchased my OWN domain for $10 USD, and SmugMug allows you to link it directly to your SmugMug site! Worked out great so far. Very pro looking with added features like that and linking other sites and albums on my homepage is VERY cool IMHO

Hi Karim,

I've really enjoyed following this thread.  Trying to embed every one individually sounds like a hassle.  I didn't find it difficult to understand what you were doing with the grouped method.

Gaz

Gaz i am glad this method ended up working fine for you guys as putting each photo individually back up would have really taken alot of time.

I am really glad you guys are enjoying the thread too it really adds up to the pleasure of building this kit!

Karim-

I followed the link and like the others had no problem at all following along.  I am happy to see that the accompanying photos to this build are not lost, it would be a real shame for all of us to lose the WIP photos on this build!  I am staggered by the quality of your work as well as the photography, and doubly so as a lot of the work is done from a hotel room!

Brilliant work Karim, looking forward to the next installment!

Daywalker thanks for leaving a word.

I am glad the switch to smugmug seems to have worked fine, i was a bit at a loss in the beginning and started a project to run my own server out of my apartment but as Kevin so rightly put it, it's actually alot more work than i envisioned. The hardware part is ready it's all the IT stuff and the setup that is being a real pain so i left everything as is for later so a friend of mine who does this as a living comes and sets it all up.... meanwhile SM is really working a treat. At the rate things are going i think i might even ditch the server option and just remain with SM, and just set up my hardware cloud machines so i can share the cutfiles and references off of those...

Thank you very much for your kind comments, most of the work is done out of my work residence in doha, i do drag along some bit i can work on on layovers as all the flights i do involve at least one night away, so usually i try to take the stuff i can clean up sand and glue in a tupperware so it doesn't break, then further work the stuff out once i am back in doha...

thanks again for checking in!

Looks awesome! That is the same thing I did Karim.....i actually purchased my OWN domain for $10 USD, and SmugMug allows you to link it directly to your SmugMug site! Worked out great so far. Very pro looking with added features like that and linking other sites and albums on my homepage is VERY cool IMHO

Brian definitely impressed with SM... when i think back at the days of PB, the pain of the loading and having to wade through a sea of ads, it feels like somebody took a mountain off my back by switching to SM...should have done it a long time ago...

I'm thinking of running a mini blog on the SM homepage as they also have the functionality to do this if you start inserting text etc... wouldn't be a bad idea i guess