A-1 Skyraider - Thoughts wanted

Breaker

Gents, 

I'm thinking of embarking on a big Skyraider build at some point. I'm undecided if I want to go Navy or USAF as of yet. Part of me wants to go down the Sandy route, part of me wants a Light Gull Grey Navy bird. 

With there being the two options between Trumpeter and ZM, has anyone got a preference between the two and why? I'll be building it with wings fully extended and I've seen the ZM is a bit weak there. 

Thanks, 

Simon

I have made both the ZM and trumpy models.

Give the the Trumpy one any day...

Why?

It has a full set of weapons

The decals are better options

It goes together easier

And it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

That's just my personal opinion, hope it helps,

Malc.

Hi Breaker,

There is a recent thread about the ZM Navy Skyraider review. Should be able to find it back a page or two. Has some great insight. I would say everyone has an opinion based on what is important to them. I've built two ZM kits and i really love them. The Trumpeter kit is maybe more conventional in build but has more mistakes in shape. The Trumpeter kit is wrong in the windscreen/canopy area (way too wide), landing gear and prop are severely anemic, cowling is perfectly round and instead should slope down 8 degrees on the top. If those things don't bother you I'd say you could get the Trumpeter kit for half the price of the ZM. There are quite a few builds of both kits here on LSP so you can take a look at those areas I mentioned to see if it's a deal breaker or not a big deal.

Best

Shane

I bought the ZM A-1J as the kit has everything including the decals for the -1H version as well. This makes no sense to me as the -1J sells on Sprue Brothers for $140, while the -1J sells for $150. The Trumpeter kits sell for around $130 or so depending on the version. But the ZM kits to keep the price down don't come with much in the way of loads. You can buy AM loads for either one which costs $25 each. 

From the reviews I've read, the ZM kits are more accurate in outline and dimensions, but do have fit issues with so many hatches and panels. 

Joel

Wouldn't it be great to get a A-1E from one of these kits. Again, 2 fuselage halves, lower wing, cockpit and clear sprue. That's about it. That would open up several more variants.

Chuck

Z-M had intended to eventually do an A-1E, but no news in a while now.