1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

I understand where is Jennings coming from.

Here is an example for similar plane, KD224 on HMS Formidable. Nice overspray on the fuselage, overpanted insignia on the right wing, details that matters and make it more attractive for modeller.

18683947278_1cdcc7f4b6_o.jpg

If there's a "pet" F4U-1A/-1D you'd like to see, please let me know.  We're still in the research phase here.  We have a couple of definites but we're still open to others.

BTW, Wally has been researching Corsairs for many, many years, and it is his firm belief that the airplane always associated with Hampton-Grey's VC mission (X-115) is not in fact the airplane he was flying that day, so we won't be including it.  I know everybody else in the world thinks it is the one, but given the amount of information Wally has at his fingertips on Corsairs, I tend to believe him.  Unfortunately it seems we really don't know what airplane he was flying that day.

Howdy Jennings!

Most probably outside of your usual interest but I would dearly like to see:-

1. Post War Naval Reserve (FG-1D) with the orange tail band

2. Both El Salvador schemes - grey/gray and Sea Blue.....

Cheers from Dubai!

Anthony

Hi Alan, the reason is rather prosaic . I build 1/72nd scale model of this plane as a kid, with all the inaccuracies and I would like to give it a try. Plus I do not like heroes, because the real heroes among us are mostly unknown. I like to build war-beaten horses flown by anonymous guys.

That's all.

Cheers

M.

And I think that the role of RNZAF in the war of Pacific is often ... neglected ?

Hi Martin,

I know what you mean about models built when young. My first RNZAF Corsair was the old Frog model as in the link below.

It was my pride and joy at the time :)

http://oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=1652&page=303

The interesting thing about that kit was that Frog actually got the Colours right for an early RNZAF F4U-1D (3 or 4 Tone USN scheme) and got the Roundel colours pretty much spot on. NZ5457 "Patricia Mary" - the only error is that the aircraft did not belong to a "Support Unit" but rather a Servicing Unit.

Not just the RNZAF is neglected, but New Zealand's role in the South Pacific war is neglected. it's intersting you should make that

comment on neglect, I was reading a publication on the war in the South Pacific today, New Zealand was not even mentioned - Australia was.

Heck, even John Wayne could pronounce the real small New Zealand town, named Paekakariki, in the movie Sands of Iwo Jima, where US Marines were actaully stationed in WWII, prior to leaving for the forward areas in the Pacific.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041841/

Regards

Alan

It was one of his regular mounts, I wish Wally would include it. For us Canadians, 115 is still the symbol we honor our last VC recipient's memory.

I don't think it will ever be solved what aircraft he was flying. Ian Laing gas the best research and he can't narrow it down.

I'm  now pretty confident that I know what aircraft Gray was flying on 9.8.45 - or rather I know the code associated with KD.658 - and will publish in due course with all the supporting evidence as part of a book on BPF air operations.  This has been arrived at after years working with all the available primary records, including flying log books of 1841 and 1842 Squadron pilots, the 1841 Squadron Record Book (this was compiled by S/Lt Maitland until his death on 10.8.45 and ends in late July 1945. It was subsequently completed many years afterwards by a group of ex-1841 pilots), the 1842 Fair Flying Log, HMS Formidable's aircraft loss and serviceability records, HMS Formidable's Ship's Log, Admiralty Reports on BPF Operations off Japan,  Fleet Air Arm aircraft accident damage record cards, IWM film, and a large number of published and unpublished photos. 

I drawn the distinction between KD.658 (erroneously assigned the code X/115 in many secondary sources) and the aircraft he was flying. There is primary evidence that Gray was flying KD.658 when he was shot down, but in the primary documents relating to aircraft lost on 9.8.45, this serial is also associated with another Canadian 1841 Squadron pilot: Lt Anderson who crashed into Formidable's round-down after running out of fuel and was lost on 9.8.45. Overall, however, the weight of evidence is in favour of Gray flying KD.658 on 9.8.45.

Notwithstanding the true identity of the code of KD.658, what is not known is the serial of X/115 during Operations off Japan. As others have said, this was Gray's usual aircraft. Photographs exist of this aircraft (along with IWM film), but the serial cannot be read from these and after years of research I still do not know the serial number for certain, though I have a list of possibilities. 

There are also doubts about the identity of Gray's Corsair during Operation Iceberg in May 1945. Most secondary sources attribute KD.399 to X/115, but there are issues with this (too long to explain here), so this identity may not be sound. I have been told that there is a photograph that shows this code and serial, but I have never seen it. If it exists, this would resolve the matter, of course. In any case, X/115 was contaminated with sea water in a hanger fire and flown off to HMS Speaker on 10.5.45 and replaced with a Corsair from the fleet train (there are only a small number of possibilities for this second Gray operation Iceberg Corsair).  Gray also regularly flew one of the two F24 camera equipped PR Corsairs IVs embarked on Formidable and the serials/codes of these I do know for certain. I also own an original reconnaissance photograph taken by one of these Corsairs, stamped with the time and date when Gray was flying it. 

Edited by iang

Time for the after market decal folks to get some stuff in the works........

Jarhead planes, please! Ace of Spades don't get enough love.

The sooner the better I'd say. Fingers crossed. :)

Down, Boy, you've had your ration of Corsairs, haha!

If there's a "pet" F4U-1A/-1D you'd like to see, please let me know.  We're still in the research phase here.  We have a couple of definites but we're still open to others.

BTW, Wally has been researching Corsairs for many, many years, and it is his firm belief that the airplane always associated with Hampton-Grey's VC mission (X-115) is not in fact the airplane he was flying that day, so we won't be including it.  I know everybody else in the world thinks it is the one, but given the amount of information Wally has at his fingertips on Corsairs, I tend to believe him.  Unfortunately it seems we really don't know what airplane he was flying that day.

Anything obviously USMC.

I will not complain about what this release ISN'T and will savor it is another in the growing family of the finest airplane kit I ever encountered, the Birdcage Corsair.

I have read that with the rocket armed F4U-1D Corsairs, the undersides of the outer flaps were skinned with metal so the rocket exhaust would not burn the fabric covering.  I haven't looked closely enough at the outer flap (if it's even visible) in the photos to be able to tell whether the flap is fabric on top and metal underneath of just what its surfaces are.

Here's an example of the metal skinning.  Fire has burned away all the wood and fabric. Metal skinning on the out board flap and under the wing remain.

f4u-1dvmf-312okinawa-1.jpg

Don

I'm  now pretty confident that I know what aircraft Gray was flying on 9.8.45 - or rather I know the code associated with KD.658 - and will publish in due course with all the supporting evidence as part of a book on BPF air operations.  This has been arrived at after years working with all the available primary records, including flying log books of 1841 and 1842 Squadron pilots, the 1841 Squadron Record Book (this was compiled by S/Lt Maitland until his death on 10.8.45 and ends in late July 1945. It was subsequently completed many years afterwards by a group of ex-1841 pilots), the 1842 Fair Flying Log, HMS Formidable's aircraft loss and serviceability records, HMS Formidable's Ship's Log, Admiralty Reports on BPF Operations off Japan,  Fleet Air Arm aircraft accident damage record cards, IWM film, and a large number of published and unpublished photos. 

I drawn the distinction between KD.658 (erroneously assigned the code X/115 in many secondary sources) and the aircraft he was flying. There is primary evidence that Gray was flying KD.658 when he was shot down, but in the primary documents relating to aircraft lost on 9.8.45, this serial is also associated with another Canadian 1841 Squadron pilot: Lt Anderson who crashed into Formidable's round-down after running out of fuel and was lost on 9.8.45. Overall, however, the weight of evidence is in favour of Gray flying KD.658 on 9.8.45.

Notwithstanding the true identity of the code of KD.658, what is not known is the serial of X/115 during Operations off Japan. As others have said, this was Gray's usual aircraft. Photographs exist of this aircraft (along with IWM film), but the serial cannot be read from these and after years of research I still do not know the serial number for certain, though I have a list of possibilities. 

There are also doubts about the identity of Gray's Corsair during Operation Iceberg in May 1945. Most secondary sources attribute KD.399 to X/115, but there are issues with this (too long to explain here), so this identity may not be sound. I have been told that there is a photograph that shows this code and serial, but I have never seen it. If it exists, this would resolve the matter, of course. In any case, X/115 was contaminated with sea water in a hanger fire and flown off to HMS Speaker on 10.5.45 and replaced with a Corsair from the fleet train (there are only a small number of possibilities for this second Gray operation Iceberg Corsair).  Gray also regularly flew one of the two F24 camera equipped PR Corsairs IVs embarked on Formidable and the serials/codes of these I do know for certain. I also own an original reconnaissance photograph taken by one of these Corsairs, stamped with the time and date when Gray was flying it.

I truly hope I get one of the first signed copies of this book! As I have mentioned on multiple forums, I feel you are the most renowned and prominent researchers of this subject. My apologies for given credit to Ian Laing, auto correct!

I think I have unpublished photographs of 115/X with the serial showing. I can't locate them. As per our previous discussions, I really should contact the FAA pilot who has them. I just noticed recently, a portion of one of the hospitals I work in, now has a wing named after him. I saw his sons this weekend, I should have arranged a meeting with their father. He is now in his mid 90s.

As always, excellent information.