1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

It seems to be A, if you look closely You can notice the canopy frame, missing rocket stubs and fuel tank/ bomb hard point on the main section of the wing. The bomb at the centre rack was provision used on A type as well.

Guest Smitty44

It seems to be A, if you look closely You can notice the canopy frame, missing rocket stubs and fuel tank/ bomb hard point on the main section of the wing. The bomb at the centre rack was provision used on A type as well.

Couldn't tell whether or not there is a frame, the rest my bad.

If there's a "pet" F4U-1A/-1D you'd like to see, please let me know.  We're still in the research phase here.  We have a couple of definites but we're still open to others.

BTW, Wally has been researching Corsairs for many, many years, and it is his firm belief that the airplane always associated with Hampton-Grey's VC mission (X-115) is not in fact the airplane he was flying that day, so we won't be including it.  I know everybody else in the world thinks it is the one, but given the amount of information Wally has at his fingertips on Corsairs, I tend to believe him.  Unfortunately it seems we really don't know what airplane he was flying that day.

Hi J,

If I may, your logic doesn't make sense to me. Just because Hammy Gray (not Grey), didn't die flying 115-X doesn't mean you can't include it as a decal scheme. He did fly the aircraft, so including it would not be bad or wrong, just don't mention that it was the aircraft that he was killed in.

Cheers

Brad

If there's a "pet" F4U-1A/-1D you'd like to see, please let me know. We're still in the research phase here. We have a couple of definites but we're still open to others.

BTW, Wally has been researching Corsairs for many, many years, and it is his firm belief that the airplane always associated with Hampton-Grey's VC mission (X-115) is not in fact the airplane he was flying that day, so we won't be including it. I know everybody else in the world thinks it is the one, but given the amount of information Wally has at his fingertips on Corsairs, I tend to believe him. Unfortunately it seems we really don't know what airplane he was flying that day.

It was one of his regular mounts, I wish Wally would include it. For us Canadians, 115 is still the symbol we honor our last VC recipient's memory.

I don't think it will ever be solved what aircraft he was flying. Ian Laing gas the best research and he can't narrow it down.

Edited by ScoobyDoo

Hi J,

If I may, your logic doesn't make sense to me. Just because Hammy Gray (not Grey), didn't die flying 115-X doesn't mean you can't include it as a decal scheme. He did fly the aircraft, so including it would not be bad or wrong, just don't mention that it was the aircraft that he was killed in.

Cheers

Brad

Exactly.

Because we don't want to continue to foster inaccurate information mainly.  If we could prove something about it, we would do it.  He may or he may not have flown it.  If we could add some new information or do something unique that hadn't been done or that had been done inaccurately before, we might consider it.

How is that fostering inaccurate information? It is well known 115/X survived the war. It is not known what aircraft Hampton was flying.

It is known 115/X was one of his regular aircraft.

So a Canadian National Hero is ignored for this reason? The only Allied soldier honored on Japanese soil for his sacrifice?

Hi Martin

Any particular reason for NZ5315? - just curious :D  - As RNZAF F4U-1A Corsairs go, its pretty non-descript

Thanks/Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, the reason is rather prosaic . I build 1/72nd scale model of this plane as a kid, with all the inaccuracies and I would like to give it a try. Plus I do not like heroes, because the real heroes among us are mostly unknown. I like to build war-beaten horses flown by anonymous guys.

That's all.

Cheers

M.

And I think that the role of RNZAF in the war of Pacific is often ... neglected ?