1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D!

wrbrdmech

Move on from what?  Discussing the kit?

Move on in discussion. To talk about facts that were discussed when Birdcage came out, seems to be redundant.

For example, I would like to see progression in constructive way that can clarify differences and stages of their implementation on 1D production line. That's all, no pun intended.

Cheers

M.

Agreed. I seriously doubt it was any kind of afterthought.

The logic the Tamiya corperation use isnt quite the same as most people would use ie you and I.

If it "was"...we would have also seen the release of..a two seater F-16 which was also clearly laid out and engineered for production.

A slatred wing F-4E also another 32nd kit which woukd of been easily modded to slatted wing status leading to numerous late variants ie Wild Weasels etc etc.

Shizuoka has always been the smaller release venue in the two big Japanese shows with Tokyo the premier show.

Be interesting to see whats up there sleeve id imagine the Bomber Mossie which is if anything a more substatial mod than a 1D Corsair.

Glad for the Corsair lovers but i cant get excited about glossy sea blue glossy sea blue glossy sea blue glossy sea blue.

Ill grab one to do a Okinawa raider but hope they do a -4 down the track.

Given that the -4 would require significant retooling - not just add-on parts, I wouldn't be holding my breath.  We now have three F4U variants, and I have a really hard time seeing Tamiya put any more into the F4U, especially since the -4 didn't see WWII service.

Didn't Ken Walsh fly a dash 4 (white 13, I believe) from Okinawa at the end of the war in 1945?

Didn't Ken Walsh fly a dash 4 (white 13, I believe) from Okinawa at the end of the war in 1945?

Yes, the -4 did see limited action in WWII but the WWII -4 was the very early -4 with the rounded windscreen (like the earlier -1 series) and 6 x .50 caliber mg's in the wing.  It was in squadron service but I don't know if it scored any kills or not.  It was on hand for the invasion of Japan (should it have been required).  To do this early version of the -4, Tamiya would need to make a new cockpit, retool the -1 fuselage a little bit, add a new R-2800 (C series engine) and tool a new cowl for the early -4's.  Those are the obvious (to me) changes that would be required.  There may be other changes that may be needed that I'm not aware of.  Later -4's with the flat armored glass incorporated into the windscreen and the -4B cannons would need modifications to the windscreen (and possibly the glareshield part of the fuselage) and wing molds. 

You can bet that the design work on all of the Corsairs was done at the same time as with all the other kits in this series.

They actually reverse engineered the F4U-1 and F4U-1A from the F4U-1D they had exclusive access to.

Since the Corsair is Mr Tamiya's favorite aircraft, I wouldn't be so sure that a -4 is not going to happen, and I have learned to never say never. Did anyone see the Storch or the IL-2 by Tamiya coming?

Brad

The logic the Tamiya corperation use isnt quite the same as most people would use ie you and I.

If it "was"...we would have also seen the release of..a two seater F-16 which was also clearly laid out and engineered for production.

A slatred wing F-4E also another 32nd kit which woukd of been easily modded to slatted wing status leading to numerous late variants ie Wild Weasels etc etc.

Shizuoka has always been the smaller release venue in the two big Japanese shows with Tokyo the premier show.

Be interesting to see whats up there sleeve id imagine the Bomber Mossie which is if anything a more substatial mod than a 1D Corsair.

Glad for the Corsair lovers but i cant get excited about glossy sea blue glossy sea blue glossy sea blue glossy sea blue.

Ill grab one to do a Okinawa raider but hope they do a -4 down the track.

Hope the do an F4U-5, although I think a dash 4 is in the works.

Since the Corsair is Mr Tamiya's favorite aircraft, I wouldn't be so sure that a -4 is not going to happen, and I have learned to never say never. Did anyone see the Storch or the IL-2 by Tamiya coming?

Brad

They did access and photograph the F4U-4 Michael Potter formerly owned. Although my sources will no longer say if they did the measurements and 3-D imaging of it.

I am not sure why, I kept quiet on the first three 1/32 releases (Mustang, Spits, and Corsair) for almost a year each release. Avspec leaked the news on the Mossie. Which if you know the full story of that Mossie's Canadian visit, Potter assisted with access to that too.

So, Mr. ScoobyDoo, you have called Tamiya 32nd releases before and been correct.  What are they doing next then?  I think you have mentioned a RN Corsair kit and possibly a Hurricane?

So, Mr. ScoobyDoo, you have called Tamiya 32nd releases before and been correct.  What are they doing next then?  I think you have mentioned a RN Corsair kit and possibly a Hurricane?

I honestly don't know anymore. I'm out of the loop now.

I know an FAA release was agreed upon though and the Japanese honor their agreements.

Mr. Tamiya has said this publicly?  Or is this from the same source that said a Tamiya 1/48 B-17G was an "imminent release" in, oh, about 1996?

Mr. Tamiya has said this publicly?  Or is this from the same source that said a Tamiya 1/48 B-17G was an "imminent release" in, oh, about 1996?

I think it was in his book, this reviewer says it was in an enterview:

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/1261-132-f4u-1-corsair-birdcage/

I've been told on several occasions that there is no extant WWII RNZAF color standard, and thus that any guess at the actual colors is just that - a guess.  Do you have different information?  I'd dearly LOVE an accurate color reference for them.

I've been told on several occasions that there is no extant WWII RNZAF color standard

Jennings - I mentioned earlier on this is thread, there are SAGE's (Self Appointed Guru Experts) out in Internet land

who like to think they know about the WW RNZAF,when in reality they either know diddly squat or simply perpetuating misinformation they have been told or read on the Internet. There is a lot of information on the net about WWII RNZAF

aircraft (Corsairs especially) that is false/misleading, also alot about the WWII RNZAF is not on the Internet.

When the Tamiya F4U-1A came out, there was a build on Hyperscale of the "Spliced Corsair Frames NZ272/5307.

The modeller had decided that looking at B&W photos and basing his painting decision on some guy Mike on another forum, to paint the rear section (NZ5272) all light grey. I told him the operational history of both airframes and that light grey was not painted on the rear airframe, and it remained in USN 3 (or 4 tone depending on your take) tone of the time, while the forward section (NZ5307) was Glossy Sea Blue, as the full airframe had been repainted after assembly at Los Negros in GSB. The modeller painted it grey..........

and thus that any guess at the actual colors is just that - a guess.  Do you have different information?

You need to know that many RNZAF Aircraft were Lend Lease. The RNZAF was attached to the USN from 1942 and

came under command of USNCICPAC (think I got that right).  Aircraft especially Corsairs, were delivered in standard USN colours, others in USAAF colours, and generally remained that way, unless repainted either in theatre or before leaving New Zealand (Hudsons/Ventura's P40K early shipment).

All F4U-1A's in USN colours - some repainted in Glossy Sea Blue after assembly. Later, some received a uppercoating of GSB or NS Sea Blue, leaving the undersides in White and lower wings Int blue - see photo below (NZ5347)

F4U%20Struggle%20Buggy%20copy_zpsszdul2a

Note this was not just a Kiwi thing, USMC corsairs received the same, Kiwi's and USN/USMC shared same airstrips.

First allotment of F4U-1D's were delevered in USN 3/4 tone, rest in GSB

All FG-1D's in GSB

As far as standards go BALM manufactured paints either in New Zealand or Australia to RAAF/RNZAF standards.

This included RNZAF Pacific Roundel Blue used on Corsairs flying in the forward areas.

Some know it alls seem to believe that RNZAF Corsairs  weathered more so than their US counterparts -my comment above about same colours, same airstrips. These same know it alls believe that the RNZAF Roundel weathered to the silly baby blue or electric blue.

The RNZAF Pacific Roundel was painted over the US Star, and if it did weather (which they did, BALM

paints were noted for this), the US Star would show through as in this photo below

RNZAF%20Corsair%20with%20Star%20under%20

I have yet to see any "Weathered" RNZAF Pacific Roundels on Decal sheets showing this.

Note - there are no colour photos of RNZAF Corsairs in the forward areas, however Maurice Conly the noted RNZAF artist, spent a lot of time in the forward areas and all of his colour painting show Dark Blue Roundels on RNZAF Corsairs.

Some RNZAF Standard paint colours, painted on RNZAF aircraft serving in forward areas (Hudsons/Venturas/P40K)

RNZAF Pacific Blue (aka NZ Sea Blue Grey)

RNZAF Pacific Green - This colour here, I can guarantee the SAGES know nothing about!!!!

RNZAF Foliage Green

RNZAF Sky Grey - this colour is actully a type of Duck Egg Blue - like Sky Type S

Alot to read I know, but only a nutshell version. Please contact me either here on the forum or PM me for any further info.

If I don't know, the gents at the RNZAF Museum will (I pick their collective brains alot). I'm sure they

would only be too happy to get some actual accurate RNZAF decal markings :thumbsup:

EDIT: do you have any specific airframes in mind?

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Hi Alan,

While I've always liked the Kiwi Corsairs, prior to your note I'd always planned on building only USN birds.  Looks like I now have to buy at least one more Corsair.  Nice presentation on the Kiwi colors!

Cheers,

Dana

Edited by Dana Bell