Do 335 B-2 HK Models

plane_mc

I'm back and have figured out the front engine doors.  Because of the proximity of the engine to the doors, the same type of hinge I used on the rear doors would not work here.  Besides, on the real Do 335, the front engine doors are hinged with piano type hinges. Here's what I came up with:

The top edges of the doors were drilled so I could insert a piece of 0.020†music wire.  I got a little sloppy with the drilling and busted out in a couple places, which required some patches.  I will clean them up before painting.

IMG_0008r_zpsr22ufx50.jpg

Next, I glued a small piece of styrene to the front piece (I don't know the official name of it) and drilled out an oversized hole/slot for the 0.020†wire to fit into.  I also routed out a space on the firewall for the door to open up into and drilled a 0.023†hole for the other wire to go through.

IMG_0009r_zpsjfvzn7ub.jpg

IMG_0010r_zpsld6czy5j.jpg

I found out that I also had to bevel the edge of the top center piece to make room for the doors to open.

IMG_0018r_zpssr7sskkz.jpg

The engine door is then put in front pin first and then a piece of music wire is inserted through the firewall and into the back of the door.  The doors now open and close easily.  I also had to bevel the openings around the exhaust like I did on the rear doors to make them work smoothly.

IMG_0011r_zpsefqeqi3t.jpg

IMG_0012r_zps5vrbvyui.jpg

IMG_0013r_zpss9itj7ch.jpg

IMG_0014r_zpspveetmle.jpg

to be continued. . .

I knew I was going to need something to hold the doors closed.  Because of the way the doors are shaped and where they are hinged, they want to hang open at the bottom.  I decided to use magnets to hold them closed.  I found some SMALL magnets on EBay and ordered them.  There are 99 magnets in the stack and 1 single one on the right side.

IMG_0017r_zpsaihiky0h.jpg

I used my Dremel and routed out openings for the magnets on the lower edges of the doors and glued them in being careful to make sure the polarity was correct.  There is a slight overlap of the doors and the magnets seemed to work well.

IMG_0035r_zpsnvh8wfd0.jpg

IMG_0037r_zpssdlevela.jpg

With the hinges figured out, I needed to figure out a way to hold the doors open when needed.  I didn't want to just stick a rod in the opening while the doors were open, I wanted something that would stay attached.  I decided to use the same music wire I used for the hinges and made the posts.  I took a strand of wire and wrapped it around the music wire to make a loop.  I then soldered that loop to the end of the music wire and cut it to length using the kit parts as a guide.  I then took another strand of wire and looped it through the end of the rod and twisted it. 

IMG_0063r_zpsjmrzj6kn.jpg

I shaped a piece of 0.060†square rod and drilled out a hole in the end of it.  This piece was glued to the door where the kit part was supposed to go.  The twisted end of the wire was then glued in the hole, creating a hinge on the end of the rod.  I routed out another place for a small magnet in the center of the door to hold the support rods in place while the doors are closed (I later glued a second magnet on top of the first to make the rods sit better). 

It wasn't until I actually put the doors on that I found out that the small magnets were not enough to hold the doors closed.  I ended up using 2 bigger magnets I had in my stash.  I wish they were a little smaller, but it is really hard to see them with the limited view when the doors are open.  

IMG_0062r_zpsfiq5dsw8.jpg

IMG_0064r_zpsh565ebvf.jpg

To hold the other end of the support rods, I glued another magnet in place where the kit support rod was supposed to go.  I backed it with a small half-circle of styrene to stop the rod from going too far back.  The rods sit on the magnets and hold the doors open solidly.

IMG_0072r_zps7vgxypca.jpg

IMG_0069r_zpsksbbbvhh.jpg

IMG_0071r_zpsdl7mpjbj.jpg

IMG_0070r_zpssebqjwoo.jpg

I am now working on the door braces for the rear doors.  They are a little different and I think I have them figured out, just need to find the time to sit down and do them. 

Thanks for looking.

Ingenious work!  I have an A model setting in the stash with all sorts of AM, including some new MRP paints for it, just begging to be built.   This thread isnt helping that feeling go away!   :lol:

Brian,

Give in to the urge and start anew build. It's been way to long.  :please: 

Joel

Ingenious work!  I have an A model setting in the stash with all sorts of AM, including some new MRP paints for it, just begging to be built.   This thread isnt helping that feeling go away!   :lol:

Thanks Brian, I know the feeling, I have other kits that are begging me to build them.  You will enjoy this one when you get to it.

Fine work! Well done!

Thank you Jim.

Now that's some really impressive engineering. the final picture with the doors open really pays dividends for all that work.  :thumbsup:

Joel

Thanks Joel.

Wow ... every now and again there's a build which just makes me smile at the ingenuity and out of the box thinking. Well done!

Cheers

Jim

Thank you Jim.

I love this kit, and this is some superb work you're doing to it, Mark! Most impressive indeed.

Kev

Thanks Kev, it is a nice kit of a unique bird.

Finally!!!!   I finally got the rear engine door support rods finished.  I had several ideas on how to make them and of course none of those worked out.  I ended up going with the same system I used for the front engine door support rods.  I added magnets to the doors to hold the rods in place when the doors are closed.

IMG_0079r_zpsfn5sjlqx.jpg

I also added magnets to the 2 bulkheads on either side of the engine.  These hold the rods in the correct place when the doors are open.  I drilled out the existing holes for the original plastic rods from the back side, being careful not to drill all the way through.  This way I could insert and glue the magnets from the back side and just have a small hole in the front sides.

IMG_0083r_zpsoajgrxo9.jpg

IMG_0085r_zps9o8nqjzp.jpg

IMG_0084r_zpsqvwhtdif.jpg

And here is how it looks with the doors open and the support rods in place.

IMG_0076r_zpssce5v5n6.jpg

IMG_0077r_zpsxtjjggd5.jpg

Now that I have the engine doors all sorted out, I can finally finish painting the interior color and then get the parts glued on.  Hopefully the progress will be quicker now that I have the major headaches sorted out.

Thanks for looking.

Love it! Better man than I, as I seem to be a closed panel man generally.  HKs A model of this kit keeps calling to me from the stash, but will have to wait.

Loving the ingenuity of this build! Looking forward to more. 

Thanks Brian.  When I first started, I wasn't sure about leaving them open or closed, so I painted up everything inside.  I then decided I was going to close them as I really like the clean lines of the aircraft without the panels open.  I took it to an IPMS meeting and the car guys there told me to just hinge the panels, sounded easy at the time.  That is what lead me to the path I have taken. 

Outstanding engineering on those doors. I'm more then impressed by what you've been able to accomplish with all these added details.

Joel

Thanks Joel, I appreciate it.