Another stash question

LSP_Mike

Hi Mike,

difficult question, difficult answer. Let me tell you a story!....................................

Lost my Mum in 2015, she was 85. Me? only child, so the clean up / clear out fell to my Wife and me.

Long story short, three x 8 cubic yard builders skips, one 3.5 ton wagon (furniture) and innummerable

trips to the tip / charity (thrift) shops plus car loads to our house later, we had the house / garage / shed cleared.

My eldest Son has "hit the nail on the head" as he has said when we go and should the clear out

fall to him, 'everything will go' as he 'hasn't the time to sort it / sell it'.

This will include not only models but books and reference material.

Now I know we all have this, and every kit was brought to be built and every book to be read and 'trawled' through, ad infinitum....

Sorry Guys, it'll NEVER happen! :crying:

So, I'm 'planning' :rofl: for the future, as I have said, "no one will have to do this for me when I go", so, the house is 92% there,

workroom is the next 'project' (shoulders, elbow's and knees willing!) magazines are boxed and ready to go....where? tip, probably.

Books are probably my biggest bug bear, I love 'em, and have hundreds, but, they will get sorted, and sold, along with the kits,

so there will be less for either my Wife or Son to sort when I 'shuffle off this mortal coil'.

I, like most of the crew on here, am 50 / 60 / 70 something, now I don't intend to go to meet my maker anytime soon, BUT,

we non of us know when the 'Boss' will say to us 'your time's up, your outa there!', so keep what you want to build / will build,

and turn the remainder into cash, take yourself and the wife / girlfriend / significant other on a once in a lifetime trip,

(not advisable to take more than one together, tends to shorten life expectancy! :fight: :whistle: )

This course of action will at least mean:-

A. YOU get to sort it out.

B. Items sold / given away / donated will be YOUR choice.

C. Items sold will get the best return for you as you know the value.

I trust the foregoing isnt too bleak, and some 'help' may come from it, have FUN!!! :wicked: 

Paul

Guest Clunkmeister

How would you like your British WW1 plane? Green, or green, sir? We have a special today on green, but as an added bonus, we could go brownish-green, but that's really just green, with a hint of brown..

How would you like your British WW1 plane? Green, or green, sir? We have a special today on green, but as an added bonus, we could go brownish-green, but that's really just green, with a hint of brown..

f4017.jpg

ruston2.jpg

2477-3.jpg

:whistle:

Edited by MikeC

My wife doesn't understand the concept of the 'stash'.  To her, it's wasted money until it's  built.  To reduce the nagging, I try to keep 20-25 unbuilt kits in my stash.  Recently I was thinking I don't build enough.  I did a count over the last two years projects and realized I'd started 20 models and completed 18.  I felt better when I realized I was almost a model-a-month guy. 

Guest Airfixer

Over the past few years, I've been able to gradually reduce my overall stash from > 750 kits down to roughly 200. New acquisitions included.

1. Scale

After I had switched to 48th scale and larger, I sold off all my 1/72nd scale kits in bulk to a local retailer and publishing company.

2. "Attention"

Every then and now, I really enjoy going through my stash radomly opening boxes in order to find out whether the styrene or resin inside might be sending out subliminal messages to me. If not, and in case the box hasn't been touched or opened by me for at least two years, its days are numbered.

3. Subjet/period hotspots

Over the years, and apart from my all-time favourites, I've managed to identify dedicated subject hotspots: Cold War jets, British WW2 and post-war stuff, and pre-1980s jet age naval aviation. So I eventually decided to further focus on said subjects and to get rid of anything that didn't fit in that scheme.Then I had another look at the AFV and ship section of my stash. How many built? Three? Ok, off they go! Sold or just gave them away.

To date, none left. Over the years, I've been gradually developing a severe "cross allergy" - Balkenkreuze/Hakenkreuze. So I resolved to get rid of those sensitisers. Sold off or gave away my entire inventory of Arados, Focke Wulfs, Heinkels, Junkers and Messerschmitts along with lots of aftermarket stuff.

4. Accuracy

Sold off or gave away kits  that were no longer meeting my personal demands/expectations in terms of "accuracy" or requiring a disproportionate amount of TLC to make them - in my discretion - "look right/good enough".

Untouchables/Grandfather Clause:

For sentimental reasons, and despite my Balkenkreuz-allergy, I decided to keep one copy of each Trimaster kit released.

The same for the 48th scale Dragon Ju 88G-1, G-6, G-10 and Ju 188 boxings.

And yes...the process of letting go is never easy.

That is a good point Mike, I've multiples of some A/C, but that choice is based on variables such as paint schemes, and armament. So, for my WWI stash, usually only one of each Brit type, yet "some" Albatrii, and those other Fokkers. Just too much variation to resist.

Exactly.  I have to admit my definition of "subject" is flexible.  For example in my book and for this purpose a P-51B is not the same as a P-51D, and in Spitfires or 109s it's down to individual sub-variants, but again for example an F4F (inc FM-1 & FM-2) is an F4F and I'll only ever build one at most.  No offence meant to anyone who's really into Wildcats.

Guest Clunkmeister

Well, a Martlet and a Wildcat are two different aircraft. Wildcat -4: 2 row radial, 6 guns, heavy and slow, Definitive Martlet: big single row radial, 4 guns, fast and nimble.

The Americans lived with their Wildcats and developed tactics to make them work. The Brits loved their Marlets. Kicked some serious arse with them, too.

Edited by Clunkmeister