Another stash question

LSP_Mike

I moved house five years ago, and I was rather surprised that my stash seemed to expand, it took up much more space in the removal van than it seemed to in the loft of the old house!  So I've been selling it all off, particularly since I had a re-awakening of the LSP urge, and it was all 1:48.  My process was similar to many above:

Am I interested in building the subject?  If anything less than "very probably", it's gone.

Any duplicates.  (Why had I got five 1:48 F-4s, much as I like Phantoms???)

If in doubt, have a look at the instructions.  Complicated build?  Limited run or otherwise troublesome kit?  Out with it.

Repeat as required.

As for recouping investment, I keep a spreadsheet of sales and depreciate the kits 10% a year until the value falls to zero - that makes the roi look somewhat better. :)

Incidentally, did I miss something - may I show my ignorance and ask what "S.A.B.L.E." is?

Edited by MikeC

Selling braille scale kits first. Especially thouse which I have LSP replacements for (like Migs, WW1 stuff and so on).

Selling 1/35 stuff I am no longer interested in. Lot of figure kits and stuff we already have on display in our museum.

Regarding LSP kits: Selling only kits I have twice. Sometimes it comes much cheaper to buy two kits instead of one. F. e. from sales or imported stuff like 21st CT.

Regards

- dutik

Mike; What's the reg of that Tiggie in your avatar? Is it G-AYDI?

Back on topic....

I sold several kits off last year, including some I had been waiting years for (HPH Dh Hornet for instance). I decided to try and stick to a few historical themes, such as Battle of Britain and Mediterranean Theatre, and sold off all of those that didn't fit those themes. Trouble is, is that kits that don't fit those themes have started crawling back into the stash!  :mental:

Biggest regret? Selling most of my Silver Wings kits. Why, oh why did I do that?  :doh:  :BANGHEAD2:

The biggest problem I have is with my stash of 1/72 classic kits. I just can't part with any of those old Airfix, Matchbox, Frog, Revell and 70's era Hasegawa. Anything I built as a kid, I can't seem to part with. I'm such a nostalgia sap!

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Guest Clunkmeister

I still have no earthly clue as to what made me go out and buy 1/35 armor. I don't build armor.  Period.  I have visions of some WW1 stuff to go with my WW1 airplanes, but that's as far as I'll get with armor.

And from what I can tell, it's almost unsellable.

I still have no earthly clue as to what made me go out and buy 1/35 armor. I don't build armor.  Period.  I have visions of some WW1 stuff to go with my WW1 airplanes, but that's as far as I'll get with armor.

And from what I can tell, it's almost unsellable.

That depends. I really like armor kits; primarily (but not exclusively) WWII German stuff (tanks, tank destroyers, SPG's, artillery), along with some Russian, Japanese and American stuff. Perhaps I need to pop you a PM?

I sell on ebay but give the buyers a surprise, lots of good freebies such as extra kits, resin accessories and decals.  It feels good to give fellow modellers an unexpected bonus, the price of this hobby is utterly ludicrous with some retailers wanting to charge for fresh air if they could.  Perhaps I was Father Christmas in another life.

Thanks Mike! Thought it might have been G-AYDI for some reason. Hope you enjoyed the flight!

Best regards;

Steve

Oh yes, very much, thanks. Nice sunny day, a couple of gentle aerobatics, and I had control for over 90% of the time.   :thumbsup: :piliot:

Changing the subject, and to follow on from another point, I think I can honestly say that whilst I have dithered over selling many a kit - do I really wanna sell it, actually I really wanna build it, but is is complex, and I want to do that next Spit/the RE.8/etc etc - I very rarely regret selling a kit once it's gone.   The odd pang about one or two, but not enough to make me want to buy another copy.  I've also set myself another rule: I won't build duplicates in 1:32, so only one large-scale model of each subject.  The exceptions to that?  Spitfires, 109s, Hunters, and ... why have I set this rule??

Edited by MikeC

That is a good point Mike, I've multiples of some A/C, but that choice is based on variables such as paint schemes, and armament. So, for my WWI stash, usually only one of each Brit type, yet "some" Albatrii, and those other Fokkers. Just too much variation to resist.

That is a good point Mike, I've multiples of some A/C, but that choice is based on variables such as paint schemes, and armament. So, for my WWI stash, usually only one of each Brit type, yet "some" Albatrii, and those other Fokkers. Just too much variation to resist.

Anglophobe.