Foiling a Starfighter: TGIFD

Gazzas

Guys,

Thank you very much!

Lovely work, Gaz! WD40 is also excellent for removing foil adhesive.

Kev

Kev,

What do you use to remove the WD40?  It doesn't harm plastic or paint? 

Gaz

Guys,

Thank you very much!

Kev,

What do you use to remove the WD40?  It doesn't harm plastic or paint? 

Gaz

I just spray a little on a cotton bud, and gently rub the affected area on the canopy in a circular motion. No need to remove it, as it imparts a lovely shine to the clear plastic, which it definitely does not harm. It also won't damage acrylic paints but I have had issues with enamels.

n9nfTI.jpg

Kev

Hi Everyone,

For the past eternity I've been applying the common stencils to the fuselage.  Along with work, it feels like no progress at all.  But anyway, I keep going on.

I tried something different this build.  Instead of covering the entire plane with Future before applying the decals, I only spot-painted thinned Future in areas where the decal diagram showed the decals to be.  In some places I'm sure I was off because the decals were slipping around pretty wildly as I tried to squeeze out liquid and air with a damp cloth.

145235.jpg

To my consternation, the large black triangular decal over the nose didn't fit around the canopy framing.  It was too big.  So, I had to hazard masking over the foil and over the canopy framing.  I used Panzer Putty over the canopy framing.  After all was said and done, I managed to paint the black triangle and remove the masking without lifting any foil.  Peeling the tape away parallel to the foil instead of lifting it perpendicularly.

145127.jpg

The decals are quite thin.  Though sometimes it is easy to make out a bit of clear film.

145020.jpg

The width of the panel lines and other details becomes painfully apparent in these macro-vision photos.  If my scribing skills weren't so poor, I might have been tempted to fill in the original details.   But I'm only so much into torture...lol

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

I just spray a little on a cotton bud, and gently rub the affected area on the canopy in a circular motion. No need to remove it, as it imparts a lovely shine to the clear plastic, which it definitely does not harm. It also won't damage acrylic paints but I have had issues with enamels.

n9nfTI.jpg

Kev

Another one to add to the 2 000 uses of WD40 ...

This product is so ubiquitous that I suspect it is one of the major technological breakthroughs resulting from that UFO landing in New Mexico in 1947 :rofl: . They could not make any sense of all that anti-gravity technology, but THIS product, now there were practical applications ;) ! Otherwise why did its inventors never get a Nobel prize ?

Hubert