Zoukei-Mura SWS03: A-1H Skyraider U.S. Navy

LSP_Kevin

Iain,

Thank you so very much for posting that picture and the link to your review and build. I just read through it, and took a good long look at your build pictures. Your build is certainly outstanding, and expertly done. One should never have to apologize for a OOB build done to this level. It's a perfect display piece, or as an entrant in a OOB contest category that has an excellent chance to place for sure.  

Your description of the decals did echo my feelings, and why I went with the Cartograf option. My future -H just has to be the Bumble Bee, so I'll be using the kit decals. You also felt that the cockpit is the weak area of the kit, something that I think ZM should take into consideration as it's not the area to cut back on by any means if it was a cost savings decision.

Your method for dealing with the gun bay covers should really come in handy if I do decide to close them up. I'm leaning to closing most of the panels as too many open panels just ruins the lines of any aircraft model. Well, at least IMHO.

While I wasn't really considering doing the ZM -H over the Trumpeter release, after your post and Shanes I'll be buying the ZM -H kit.  I'm once again really looking forward to my upcoming build after the Scooter is finally done.

Joel

I badly want one of these but the price tag hurts. Not sure I am ever going to spend that much for an injection moulded kit.

I can certainly appreciate that sentiment, but there really just aren't too many other choices available. I'm fortunate to have received both the H and J versions as review samples, or I'd probably own neither. There's a listing for a future A-1E from Z-M, but I've really heard nothing else about that.

I bought this kit about two years ago; I've no idea when I will get around to building it as I have about 5 kits lined up in my build list for the rest of this year.

I will add, that after being through the kit a few times that it is an excellent kit and top quality; it's not cheap tho! I personally wouldn't bother with any after market parts for it, as mentioned before, a kit of that price it should contain everythng that you need; perhaps with the exception of metal landing gear.

Cheers!

Iain

I bought this kit about two years ago; I've no idea when I will get around to building it as I have about 5 kits lined up in my build list for the rest of this year.

I will add, that after being through the kit a few times that it is an excellent kit and top quality; it's not cheap tho! I personally wouldn't bother with any after market parts for it, as mentioned before, a kit of that price it should contain everythng that you need; perhaps with the exception of metal landing gear.

Cheers!

Iain

I basically agree, the kit (in my opinion) really needs nothing in the way of AM to produce an excellent result, except of course weapons, lots and lots of weapons.

I can certainly appreciate that sentiment, but there really just aren't too many other choices available. I'm fortunate to have received both the H and J versions as review samples, or I'd probably own neither. There's a listing for a future A-1E from Z-M, but I've really heard nothing else about that.

Kev,

This is the 1st I've heard of ZM planning on a A-1E.  By the time I finish both the -1J & then the -1H after two other planned builds, ZM will have more then another year to bring it to market.

Agreed as I've said for the price charged, the kit should not need any AM especially from ZM, but their theory is that to keep the price down all those goodies were left out of the basic kit. Can't for the life of me see how Stores for an attack aircraft should be extra, or better decals for that matter. When I do build the -1H it's going to be box stock with the exception of stores from -1J loads Extra Parts offering.

Joel

Joel:

I may or may not have an extra Concepts book for the kit, I'll look tonight. its yours if you want it and I have it. Got a bunch from ZM when the kit first came out

Dave

Dave,

thanks, and PM sent  your way.

Joel

Kev,

This is the 1st I've heard of ZM planning on a A-1E.  By the time I finish both the -1J & then the -1H after two other planned builds, ZM will have more then another year to bring it to market.

Agreed as I've said for the price charged, the kit should not need any AM especially from ZM, but their theory is that to keep the price down all those goodies were left out of the basic kit. Can't for the life of me see how Stores for an attack aircraft should be extra, or better decals for that matter. When I do build the -1H it's going to be box stock with the exception of stores from -1J loads Extra Parts offering.

Joel

Yep, the A-1E would certainly be interesting. As far as I am aware, the A-1H flew in Korea as well as Vietnam, so the weapons choices would be staggering, and may well be the reason for their omission, as they'd certainly add to the overall cost of the kit.

There is only the Trumpeter kit which is OK but only second choice after the Z-M kit. I am hoping for a good deal, otherwise I wont own one - it's just too far away from the maximum amount I am willing to spend for a kit. 

There is only the Trumpeter kit which is OK but only second choice after the Z-M kit. I am hoping for a good deal, otherwise I wont own one - it's just too far away from the maximum amount I am willing to spend for a kit. 

Yep, between the two, from what I've seen, I'd go Z-M too. I received a freebie decal sheet to do the S Vietnam machine I've been wanting to do, so aside from some cool weapons (Z-M probably), I'm about good to go.

Ben,

I certainly admire you for sticking to a max amount for a kit purchase. I keep on setting limits, but I keep on breaking them. I gotta learn to live/model within my means, as I'm just about fully retired, and my modeling war chest will certainly be taking a major beating. At least as far as my wife is concerned.

Joel

Ben,

I certainly admire you for sticking to a max amount for a kit purchase. I keep on setting limits, but I keep on breaking them. I gotta learn to live/model within my means, as I'm just about fully retired, and my modeling war chest will certainly be taking a major beating. At least as far as my wife is concerned.

Joel

I have a similar dilemma, Joel. My price threshold is actually quite low these days, so many LSP kits, are off my list now. I won't hesitate to spend the $300 for the 1:16 Jagdtiger in August though, I can tell you that.

There's a listing for a future A-1E from Z-M, but I've really heard nothing else about that.

There was mention a long while back in the old man blog from ZM about doing an A1-E but I'm almost positive that is no longer in their plan. Would be nice to see a 1/32 "Fatface" from someone though 😉

-Shane

How about posting a picture set in RFI? I'd love to see both of your builds.

Thanks again,

Joel

Hi Joel,

I'll try to post some pics in RFI for my Navy bird and of my Air Force Sandy as I finish up. It's a little difficult for me cause I do everything off of my smartphone and it's cumbersome to upload pics on a phone using a photo server. I'm happy to email you some of my pics if that would help you.

Cheers,

Shane