Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

Good progress today with all detail removed from both cockpit halves that I want to replace but most importanty the material removed during my hatchet job while splitting the casting in two has been replaced with plastic card and I have the original dimesions back before taking a saw to it.

20171107_202701.jpg

20171107_202810.jpg

Altough it doesnt look a lot its an important update in that I could now glue the two halves back together and everything will be as before I cut it in two, also with all the original detail removed I can now start the fun bit and get detailing now the hard bit is out of the way.

Thanks for checking by as always.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

I've not commented previously but lurked, gathering hints and tips as you go...what a fascinating build! To be honest I've never thought much of the 188 but the scheme you've chosen made me very interested!

After seeing your tailwheel and main gear bay work I'm excited to follow along with the cockpit work.

I've not commented previously but lurked, gathering hints and tips as you go...what a fascinating build! To be honest I've never thought much of the 188 but the scheme you've chosen made me very interested!

After seeing your tailwheel and main gear bay work I'm excited to follow along with the cockpit work.

Zac, thanks for your kind comments, the tail wheel/ wheel bay detail was a lot of fun to add and worth the extra effort for me. It took me ages to choose the scheme as for me there ae loads of interesting ones to choose from, hopefully I can pull of the colour scheme to a decent level as it looks like a tricky one to apply especially with all that black!

Regards. Andy

How did you ensure that the removed material was equivalent to the plastic card shims?  I find it hard to maintain precise angles when making cuts into big resin pieces... my saw always seems to wander.

I made two cuts to split the tub, the rear cut was made with a fine toothed modelling saw but the bigger cut through the large section of resin was made with a junior hacksaw so as to avoid the saw binding and also keep the cut as straight as possible. I then shimmed slightley thicker than the removed material and carefully snaded back until I reached the desired dimensions.

Regards. Andy

Some progress today on starting the rebuild of the starboard side of the cockpit tub, slow progress but happy with my decision to chop around the AIMS resin a little.

20171111_162944.jpg

20171111_162947.jpg

20171111_162838.jpg

So far, so good and plenty of detail to add to the initial construction. Also I can now finish building the foward instrument panels now I have a reference for the depth of them.

Thanks for checking by as always.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

• 3 weeks later...

Now have the starboard side wall detail completed now after much chopping and grinding away of the original conversion sets cockpit tub.

20171128_155219.jpg

20171128_155204.jpg

Just need to build up the foward insrument panel boxes now I have the depth of the panel set, also made a start on the port side of the tub now.

20171128_155440.jpg

Pretty happy with what I have managed so far, a couple of area's I'm a little disapointed with but it's a bit of a learning curve for me on this one.

As ever thanks for checking by and comments/ criticism always welcome.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Port sidewall detail now added after an unexpected today at home, a mix of AIMS etched brass, platis card etc and some Archer resin rivets.

20171130_202243.jpg

Also have the basic replacement floor areas which I will be re-skinning withe cut out and test fitted ready for detailing.

20171130_210241.jpg

And after cutting the cockpit tub apart I have gone from this.

20171104_113514.jpg

To this.

20171130_202332.jpg

Next up I need to work on the machine gun stands and also getting those massive vac form canopy peices cut out  :help: .

As difficult as this conversion is, particulary as its so difficult to find good detail reference for certain area's I am really enjoying this one, I had been putting the cockpit build off for some time but very happy with how it has gone so far. There is no way I can fully detail paint each half before gluing the tub back together as there is other detail parts that need adding once the halves are together again.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Cockpit looks great.  I think the added depth and texture of the details add greatly to the cockpit.  Just curious... do you do anything to the ends of the little photoetch levers?  Like a dab of white glue to give them some substance?

Not thought of tht little tip Thunnus so thank you! Very much looking foward to getting some paint on now even if its just some primer.

Regards. Andy