Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

Good looking work so far Andy.

One suggestion I'd offer is to scribe a light line ( a later wash will help emphasise it) under the exhaust stack outlets to make them look better separated from the cowl skin.

Thanks Chek and a great tip, the exhausts are a little tricky to deal with and get the best out of the casting and also align the engine cowl over them.

Regards. Andy 

I now have two Revell BMW engines to improve this area of the kit, Thanks must go to mark31 and his very kind donation to this build, a true gent and reminds me of what a great forum we all have here.

20170628_154100.jpg

Thanks for checking by as always.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

• 2 weeks later...

Some base colour on the wheel wells now as pretty keen to get these finished so I can bring both wing assemblies together and completed before moving on to the cockpit 

20170708_205941.jpg

Some washes, dry brushing and a little detail painting next, not to much will be seen but worth the effort for me.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

• 3 months later...

Having not touched this build for a while I have been keen to get on with this one again and so after much thought and deliberation over how to tackle it I decided it was time to make a start on the cockpit. The AIMS cockpit is an amazing one piece casting to begin with but I wanted to take things a little further.

20171103_184410.jpg

So after some careful measuring and study of as many cockpit pictures, I could I decided to try and replicate the instrument panels and make things look a little more 3D. So I set to work with some plastic card and the brillaint Airscale Instrument Bezel and Cockpit Detail sets and ended up with this.

20171103_184602.jpg

and a quick test fit in the fuselage to see how things look so far.

20171103_185334.jpg

Happy with my first efforts at replicating this kind of detail its time to reach for the razor saw and dremel and split the casting in two and make things a little easier to work on  :mental:

Thanks for checking by.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Just read seven pages of this build... awesome build so far so I'm glad you started on it again.  These 1/32 Ju88 builds are always fascinating to me and this being a conversion is even more so.  That one piece cockpit tub looks wonderfully detailed but I imagine that it presents some challenges when it comes to painting time.

Thank you for your comments everyone, as Thunnas mentioned above the one piece cockpit tub definately brings in some challenges for not only painting but also detailing so the option open to me to be able to do want I wnt to on this build is this.

20171104_113514.jpg

The plan is to re-work a fair bit of the side wall detail, I have taken measurements of the tub before cutting and will replace the cut with plastic card, I will cover the cut lines inside the pit by re skinning the affected area's.................well that's the plan  :frantic:

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

That's an elegant solution to a sticky problem, Andy- cheers! That one-piece casting is really quite a feat and spectacularly executed, but my first thought on seing it was, "How will I ever paint it properly? " You now how full freedom to work freely and get the most out of all that detail.