Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

With my ZM Hs 129 heading off to the paint shop I was looking for something else to build and I decided towards the end of last year to get a couple of my stalled builds finished this year and the 188 was first on my list. Its been just over two years since I last worked on this build mainly due to getting seriously burnt out on all of the cockpit detail/ rebuild work as this has turned in to one major project, all out of my own choice as I really wanted to push myself and see just where my skill set was and what new things I could learn and then getting back from a New Year holiday to find Pastor Johns 110 G-4 set waiting for me to get stuck in to with the 188 getting relegated back to the to do list!!

So I've spent a few hours on and off familiarising myself with the build again and realised one of the main reasns I got bogged down was trying to get the MG 151, amo bin and bomb site installed in to the nose. First things first though was to begin cleaning up the one visible cut inside the nose of the cockpit.

20171224_130727.jpg

20200109_174742.jpg

Looks messy and will need some careful painting but not just yet as I will be needing to drill a few more holes yet to get the MG 151 mounting frames in place. Not much of the filled joint line will be really seen due to th large spent cart cartridge shute being situated there. I spent a lot of time and was very careful about cutting the resin tub in half to make the internal joints almost invisible.

I've also been working on the lower B3 gun stand. The vac part was cut out and test fitted perfectly.

20200109_174940.jpg

The MG 81Z was then built up from the AIMS conversion parts along with an AIMS ammunition belt set and Quick Boost MG 81 resin guns.

20200109_175414.jpg

Have some good mojo back for the 188 now and although I've spent a few hours at the bench today and not got much to show think I've got a good plan to get all of the nose section sub assemblies built and fitted in place so fingers crossed.

Regards. Andy

I've got the upper turret built up and the main vac upper canopy cut out and pretty happy with the fit on that side if things.

20171212_211350.jpg

however I have yet to sort the canopy over the turret as yet as it is another one of those difficult parts of the build. My main stumbling block's that have caused me to shelve the build as at the time as I didn't know how to progress them  on this build are:

Mg151 installation

Mg151 amo bin installation 

Bomb sight mounting 

Upper turret glazing 

Exhaust pipes and engine/ cowl mounting.

After a couple of years on and off thinking about it hopefully I have a few solutions?

Regards Andy 

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Oh yes, it’s great to see this come together! I have a Ju-88A-4 to convert to an A-14 that is calling to me, so this is inspiring.

Cheers, nTom

It's a long way of coming together at the moment Tom but pleased to have it back on the bench again. Thise Revell 88's are nice kits and a shame they are currently OOP.

Regards. Andy 

I have a AIMS Ju88-T3 conversion that is in the stash. It is always in the top 2 kits to be built but for the last 2 years. It never fails just as I get ready to start it,  another kit gets my attention and gets built. I getting close though.

Jager

Living On Tulsa Time

• 2 months later...

Hey Wouter, Good to see you back on LSP again and  thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm working on the 188 but nothing noteworthy to show as I'm trying to work out how to best get the foward framework for the MG151 built up without ruining my transparencies. 

Regards. Andy 

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, John1 said:

Whatever happened to this most impressive build?

Can't believe it's been nearly 2 years since I last worked on it! I need to get a few tricky bits finished in the cockpit and then it's assembly of all of the main sub assemblies.

What I need is some really decent bench time, get stuck in and finish the nose section. 

Regards. Andy