HK's Latest Mossie out mid May :D

Artful69

It also appears HK providing markings for LR503, "F for Freddie" for the time of its unfortunate crash in Calgary, not the markings it wore during its European operations.

Mark Proulx

That's actually a sad story.  Here for those that haven't heard it.

Guest Clunkmeister

Forgive my ignorance on the this mark of Mossie, but could this kit be hammered into a Spartin airframe?  I am not 100% sure of the differences from a PR-35 and a Mk XVI?

p_mosquito7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

My idea as well, Ron. It would make an awesome conversion.

I have yet to see any comprehensive factual presentation of where this kit is wrong, or what might be done to sort it out. Notice I am not saying it ISN'T wrong, just no-one seems to have gone beyond the assertion that it is inaccurate. I recall a bit of discussion about the line taken the upper surface of the inner wing, which I contributed to a bit, but beyond that, nothing. Just knocking. Really, really boring. Again.

Come on, we can do better that, can't we? Please?

In my basic flight training while at the Claresholm, Alberta airfield, the F for Freddie story was told by one of the witnesses - and renamed F for F***-up.

However, I would be up for building a Spartan bird should one of the aftermarket companies produce decals and/or masks!

Cheers

Alan

I have yet to see any comprehensive factual presentation of where this kit is wrong, or what might be done to sort it out. Notice I am not saying it ISN'T wrong, just no-one seems to have gone beyond the assertion that it is inaccurate. I recall a bit of discussion about the line taken the upper surface of the inner wing, which I contributed to a bit, but beyond that, nothing. Just knocking. Really, really boring. Again.

The whole shape of the nose off, it's too bulbous, curves are all wrong, it's more like a Hasegawa egg plane than the real thing! Look at the curvature of the Windows (and this throws off the size of the Windows too). This means the bomb aimer's window is too small and blunt and the nose shape also throws off the canopy off as a result. The only way I could think to correct it is graft on the Revell nose?

The angle of the top surface of the wing above the radiators is far too much, it should be a gentle curve but the kit is far too much.

I wouldn't know how to correct that!

Google some pictures of the real thing and you'll see it instantly.

Please confirm I won't have to graft a Revell nose onto the new HK Mosquito kit.

Or a Tamiya F-4J's nose onto a Spey Phantom when it comes,  if this is a trend.

Somebody????

Edited by Chek

Well I'm certainly in for one, maybe two down the road. And just hopefully, it will be my next build.

I've made it a point to stay out of rivet counter threads or reply to any particular post. But when Jennings posted who would buy a car with a window crank (no electric windows), no A/C, I'll even throw in no power steering, and a manual transmission too boot. I'd spend my last saved dollar for a 1967 Ford Shelby 289 SC Cobra, and die a very happy man. And BTW they didn't even have windows but plexi that slid sideways.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hi Tim,

Here's a pic I took when I was building the HK IV and the Tamiya VI at the same time. The Tamiya wing is on the left. 

IMG_20150713_231342.jpg

This one is of the Tamiya wing mated up to the HK fuselage. 

IMG_20150713_230309.jpg

You can make out the profile difference on the fuselage.

IMG_20150713_230258.jpg

To me, it wasn't something I noticed until someone here asked me to compare the two if I recall. I left it alone on my build. 

My only real complaint about the HK kit would be the landing gear. It's been separated into a few more than necessary components that can be tricky to line up correctly. 

BTW, the HK front section does match up fairly well to the Tamiya rear fuselage. 

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Chaps, I have passed this thread on to my good buddy Richard DeBoerr the President of the Calgary Mosquito Society.....he is with out DOUBT the penultimate expert on the Spartan Mosquito, as we are restoring CF-HMS......I know that Canmilair has a decal set made up for the Spartan Mosquitoes, as, I , along with Richard and Robert Stitt, were heavily involved it it's creation.... a bit pricey, but it is accurate...... if you guys want any CORRECT info, let me know and I will ask Richard, I will see if hew ants to sign up for this forum......

Jeff