How to convert an old Hasegawa A-4E/F kit into an IDF scooter?

Luca

The A-4H was basically a A-4E/F airframe, while the A-4N was a A-4M airframe, so the main difference was in the nose, canopy, and windscreen. Originally, the engine and cannons were also different, but the Hs were upgraded over time to N standard.

Cutting Edge made conversions sets. You'll need both their A-4H conversion and their Super Fox conversion for the larger intakes, since CE didn't include them in their H upgrade set. This explains it:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/a4hreviewcedw_1.htm

You'll need both their A-4H conversion and their Super Fox conversion for the larger intakes, since CE didn't include them in their H upgrade set. This explains it:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/a4hreviewcedw_1.htm

Thanks Dave, I've noticed that those CE sets do not include the M windscreen ("A-10 style")... so no chance to get an IDF A-4N from the Hasegawa kit? Only an A-4H (w/"Phantom-style" windscreen)?

who makes windscreen, canopy and IP to get a M/N version? 

cheers 

Edited by Luca

Cutting Edge never released the cockpit and canopy set they once announced for the M/N.

So, if you really want to work from the Hasegawa kit, you will have to source a windshield from a TA-4J kit and you will still be on your own for the blown canopy!

To me, the reproduce a M or a N, the Trumpy kit is still the easiest solution...

Hth

Thierry

I agree with Thierry. If you are using the Hasegawa kit, it's best to limit your self to doing a fully upgraded F or H rather than trying to convert to a N, unless you need to do a specific N. Except for a few visual differences like the windscreen and canopy, they almost look identical.

Good timing, I'm converting the Trumpeter M into an N right now. I'm using Wingman Wing's set, which includes some cockpit parts, a new avionics hump, the extended tailpipe, bomb damage camera, a new tip for the tail, and the 30 mm cannon covers. I got some intakes from AMS to correct the intake size. If you need any information on either, please let me know

I thought the intakes in the Trumpeter M kit were properly bulged. I don't remember they reused the same intakes from the E and F kits.

On another note, are we still talking about making an IAF Skyhawk out of the Hasegawa kit, or have we jumped ship to talking about what might be wrong with the Trumpeter M kit?

You could always just build it as is. The IAF used e models and also received both e and f models as loss replacements during and post 73 war.  Check out Ed Okun's IAF skyhawk builds.    Posts as frogman13

Edited by somtec

Hi Bren, what's wrong with the kit intakes?

Sorry about that Luca, I was getting my models mixed up! The Trumpeter M intakes do look alright. If you were converting an E or F then you would need the larger ones. The AMS intakes are nice in that they are single piece drop ins for the multi piece kit parts. Not necessary, but they look good.

Best of luck with your build. Can't wait to see it!