Kitty Hawk F-86K Sabre Dog

Tinbanger

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rich,

Those sub-assemblies really look quite good, especially the tub and the seat. Your scratch built engine dolly is really looking spectacular.  How did you manage to get 3 of the same wheels, or did you end up buying them?

Joel

Rich,

Those sub-assemblies really look quite good, especially the tub and the seat. Your scratch built engine dolly is really looking spectacular.  How did you manage to get 3 of the same wheels, or did you end up buying them?

Joel

Hi Joel

Thank you for your comments!

The wheels came from my spare parts box.

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anybody else may be toying with the idea of doing a Kitty Hawk "Kilo"...

More painting & marking bloopers incoming:

Marking Option E - 3556th CCTS, Perrin AFB, 1960

No idea what's come over KH's R&D department on this one...

32o4NPs.jpg

Thanks to Tinbanger for this interesting WIP, l like so much the F-86D/K and the KH is pretty good.

A question to Airfixer: besides an ItAF F-86K I'd like to build also a more colorful USAF model, is it still possible to do with the Kilo KH kit? I looked to the Curtis's book but not sure to find something convenient. Thanks

Guest Airfixer

[...]

A question to Airfixer: besides an ItAF F-86K I'd like to build also a more colorful USAF model, is it still possible to do with the Kilo KH kit? I looked to the Curtis's book but not sure to find something convenient. Thanks

It's feasible...but be prepared to get into some decent plastic surgery.

In order to balance the weight of its gun installation, the "Kilo's" intermediate fuselage was stretched by 8" / 203mm.

Accordingly, and apart from all the required extensive sanding, filling and rescribing, you'll have to shorten the kit's fuselage to build a "Lima".

j46utPA.jpg

Where do you need to cut the fuselage?

Cs6Komg.jpg

• Carefully cut the fuselage halves "F/G" along the red dashed line
  • Remove excess material from the areas shaded in red (6.35mm)
  • Jointly glue the intermediate and the forward portion. Fill and sand the glued joints carefully. Maybe you will find it quite handy to add some strip/sheet styrene to support and properly align the joints.

Further  visible "Lima" features:

• Rather bulky NADAR signal data recorder installation behind the seat on the rear deck of the clamshell canopy. Needs to be replicated entirely from scratch.

6YLfNyt.jpg

vJS4NFZ.jpg

RG4Xmwp.jpg

• AN/ARR-39 Data Link Antenna. Can be easily replicated from thicker strip styrene...

BLhPccu.jpg

Painting:

Later in their career, and as a corrosion control measure, USAF/ANG Dogs and Limas had a "Rocket Exhaust Protective Finish" applied to the lower fuselage. In 1960, 51-2961 was depicting the most commonly found application of light gloss grey enamel.

RrNG5qO.jpg

Saj2fxN.jpg

• Airbrakes: aluminised protective topcoat, the light gloss grey rocket exhaust finish was  usually applied right over airbrakes topcoat...

oRyzibK.jpg

XREcrfs.jpg

oMveJJ3.jpg

j6HHv3O.jpg

TrkANNt.jpg

vSmoyaU.jpg

MivlhSp.jpg

HTH

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

It's feasible...but be prepared to get into some decent plastic surgery.

HTH

Erik

Erik, the F-86's lovers community thank you so much!! Never seen such a comprehensive knowledge and representation about any type of aircraft!

You are the gift from God to the F-86 enthusiasts!

I made the opposite conversion, starting from a "D" into a Italian "K", but in 1/72. With such a great documentation, I do believe can start a KH F-86 soon.

Hope to be able to post the WIP, in the meanwhile I continue to follow Tinbanger's WIP.

Thank you so much!

Airfixer,

the modification certainly looks doable with the manditory measure twice, cut once principle. For me it's measure 3 times, and then pray. And with the specific NMF color info, you couldn't get a more accurate finish. So I say go for it.  :thumbsup:    I'll be more then glad to pull up my chair for your build.  :popcorn: 

Joel