Soooo...... Moderators, any thoughts on the next group build?

dmthamade

I for one will be happy with any of the three themes which seem to catch the most interest. If it is a WWI GB, I will do a Ninak in USMC marking as a tribute to the US entering the war 100 years ago. If it is a Cold War GB, I will do a Soviet Su-25 in Afghanistan (with a ton a AM) or a French Skyraider in Algeria and if it is a SOD GB, I will finish my A-10C in Indiana ANG markings. Bring it on!

The Walrus kit was moulded OK, just tiresome in the extreme to build the bloody thing. Guesswork was paramount, the amount of sanding just ludicrous and why mould a piece in 1 part when you can do it in 6 and glue them all together?! Moulding stubs that you can't tell when it finishes & the kit piece starts. Alignment issues, wings being glued on with fingers crossed.

And that was a £165 kit, the most I'd ever paid until Wingnut Wings brought out the AEG & Felixstowe.

I'm glad it's not just me that came to this conclusion. Pretty much what you have described plus more mayhem on the macchi... I'm worried after this since i have bought 4 kits from them over the years and they are sitting in the stash. A catalina? Well, i could live with another two felixes more in the stash instead. That's just me guys... sorry for the hijack again lol Edited by karimb

The local club here in Kingston did an interesting group build last year. They had a theme build called "Red".

Everyone was encouraged to build something for the next meeting that had red on it. They had some interesting interpretations...aircraft with Arctic Red wing panels, Soviet aircraft with flamboyant red markings and noses, Luftwaffe aircraft, an Italian warship with neutrality markings, civilian helicopters, cars and so on. I think everyone had fun deciding what to do. Of course we would limit it to aircraft but it leaves choices wide open as far as subjects are concerned.

Just another thought...

I'll stop now.

It's actually a great idea, and it opens a whole realm of possibilities ... Being a fan of yellow wings, I'd love a "yellow" theme, which would still leave plenty of opportunities for LW fans.

Other options could be "stars and bars" or "red stars", etc...

Hubert

I think I should mention that some of these GM ideas have already been done here

Wings of the great war GB

Multi wing GB

Box Stoke Derby GB

OOB GB

Clear the Bench GB

In complete stalled project GB

Single airframe GB's have been a disaster typically, like the Mustang Madness one

I'd suggest trying to keep the theme to something new.  The USAF anniversary one is a good idea.

Great to see so many subjects suggested!! Cold war sounds good, as does the USAF Anniversary. Lots of subjects and kits available. Looking at the Previous Group build counters you can see what's popular and what wasn't, bit of a suprise the Mustang GB did so poorly...

Don

Guest Peterpools

Ron

I took a quick look and the Great War GB was 2013 and lots of new NW kits since then plus newbies like me.

Peter

I'd prefer not repeat GBs with specific themes any more often than once a decade, to be honest. The Clear the Bench idea, however, is a bit of a perennial, but even then, once every 3-4 years is probably sufficient. But that makes us due, and I think it's a prime candidate. Bear in mind, too, that our second GB will close soon enough, so we're really fishing for two GB ideas here. I'm going to suggest they be Clear the Bench and The Cold War, but it's not a done deal. The African Wars idea has some merit, though I'm not sure how widely it will appeal. As GB topics get more esoteric or specific, interest and participation (not to mention completion) tend to go down.

Kev

Guest Clunkmeister

Kevin, if you expanded the African Wars to "Third World", you'd have some seriously cool subjects.

So any aircraft in service with a country that wasn't a member of or affiliated with: NATO, Central Powers, Five Eyes, or Warsaw Pact.

So African T-6s could be built alongside Dominican Mustangs.

Edited by Clunkmeister

I can't but second Peter on that lol

I'll third that one!  I do understand not wanted to repeat ideas too often, but like Peter said there has been an abundance of WWI releases the past couple of years. 

Guest Clunkmeister

I'll third that one!  I do understand not wanted to repeat ideas too often, but like Peter said there has been an abundance of WWI releases the past couple of years.

Of COURSE I'd be on board with that.

I'd prefer not repeat GBs with specific themes any more often than once a decade, to be honest. The Clear the Bench idea, however, is a bit of a perennial, but even then, once every 3-4 years is probably sufficient. But that makes us due, and I think it's a prime candidate. Bear in mind, too, that our second GB will close soon enough, so we're really fishing for two GB ideas here. I'm going to suggest they be Clear the Bench and The Cold War, but it's not a done deal. The African Wars idea has some merit, though I'm not sure how widely it will appeal. As GB topics get more esoteric or specific, interest and participation (not to mention completion) tend to go down.

Kev

Kev, for the Clear the Bench idea, would the usual completion limitations apply? And would it have to have been part of a previous GB or could it just be a random kit that we lost interest in completing, or got too in over our heads, or....

I easily have any number of subjects I could take out for that one.

Carl

Kev, for the Clear the Bench idea, would the usual completion limitations apply? And would it have to have been part of a previous GB or could it just be a random kit that we lost interest in completing, or got too in over our heads, or....

I easily have any number of subjects I could take out for that one.

Carl

It would be one of the few GBs we run where having the kit already started would be a requirement! I can't think of a real reason to limit how far along a build is, within reason of course.

In terms of subject matter, it would be completely open, other than the usual rule of need to satisfy the requirements for an LSP subject. Certainly no need for it to have been in a previous GB, or online at all for that matter. The last time we ran this idea, it proved to be extremely popular.

Kev