Soooo...... Moderators, any thoughts on the next group build?

dmthamade

Purely for conversation and not meant to steer the final decision. 

The reason I have a small shelf of doom is because I've either lost interest in the subject or frustrated with it, so the idea of making that my build topic for a group build has zero appeal when I have little free build time. I want to enjoy that time, not feel like I have to complete something simply because it's not complete.  That's how I managed two builds in the Jurassic Plastic GB, because it was fun building old kits from back in the day!

The GB subject has to appeal to my "want to build" juices.

Cheers

Ron

The reason I have a small shelf of doom is because I've either lost interest in the subject or frustrated with it, so the idea of making that my build topic for a group build has zero appeal when I have little free build time. I want to enjoy that time, not feel like I have to complete something simply because it's not complete.  That's how I managed two builds in the Jurassic Plastic GB, because it was fun building old kits from back in the day!

Cheers

Ron

+1

Don

Cheers

Ron

+1

Don

+2

Edited by Daywalker

Keep in mind guys that not every Group Build will appeal to every member - it's simply not possible, so just wait for those ones that do appeal to you, and get involved at that time. I think Clear the Shelf of Doom is not only a good topic to revisit, but a nice variation on the naming concept. So I'm gonna pencil that one in as a matter of expediency, knowing full well that, like everything else in life, it will appeal to some people but not to others.

That leaves one GB topic up for debate. If someone wants to collate and publish the ideas floated so far, I'll set up a poll.

Kev

Cheers

Ron

This is true... However, with a bit of hindsight, our reasons for consigning a kit to the SoD are not always as rational as it seems, especially in the "frustration" area. Sometimes we stumble on a block, and can't find a way out of, or around, it. Then after the dust has settled - sometimes it will be in heavy layers ;) - we might find there was a way around this hurdle, or our knowledge and skill-base has evolved and what once seemed unsurpassable has now become a "normal" problem-solving exercise in our modelling.

There can be some real satisfaction in completing a stalled build. At least we can get a feeling of pride and achievement in overcoming our own-set blocks.

Hubert

Keep in mind guys that not every Group Build will appeal to every member - it's simply not possible, so just wait for those ones that do appeal to you, and get involved at that time. I think Clear the Shelf of Doom is not only a good topic to revisit, but a nice variation on the naming concept. So I'm gonna pencil that one in as a matter of expediency, knowing full well that, like everything else in life, it will appeal to some people but not to others.

That leaves one GB topic up for debate. If someone wants to collate and publish the ideas floated so far, I'll set up a poll.

Kev

Let me see if I can remember and collate some of the ideas floating around for this one and previous ones :

"Cross and Cockade" - a WWI subjects BG

"Cold War warriors"

"Any color you like as long as it is {..}" build and finish in a scheme that includes the defined color. The color must not come solely from the national insignas.

"Whatever floats you" a GB for flying boats and seaplanes

"Under a red star" anything that sports or sported a red star

"70 years of the USAF" any subject flown by the USAF in the last 70 years

"Flying a continent". Any subject flown in a given continent, to be determined.

"In-line engined" . The subject must have been powered by an in-line engine

"Radial-engined". self-explanatory, as above

"Multi-engined". Models with more than one source of power

"Bombs away" Any model of an aircraft used for bombing

"Scramble" Any model of an interceptor or dogfighter

"Setting the record straight" Any aircraft that was involved in a record.

"Training day" any aircraft used for training

(These last two are my own add-on to other ideas collected above. I have left aside the "Gentlemen, you have a race" - high appeal for me, but I can safely bet not for many besides me in racing aircrafts)

I am sure my fellow LSPers will want to add more ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Kev

Yup!! The CtSoD gb has limited appeal to me, but others are very enthusiastic about it, and that's just fine!! I have nothing that will qualify because any builds that i stop are so badly FUBAR'ed that any reasonable chance of recovery and enthusiasm is nil, they get AMARC'ed and binned.

This is true... However, with a bit of hindsight, our reasons for consigning a kit to the SoD are not always as rational as it seems, especially in the "frustration" area. Sometimes we stumble on a block, and can't find a way out of, or around, it. Then after the dust has settled - sometimes it will be in heavy layers ;) - we might find there was a way around this hurdle, or our knowledge and skill-base has evolved and what once seemed unsurpassable has now become a "normal" problem-solving exercise in our modelling.

There can be some real satisfaction in completing a stalled build. At least we can get a feeling of pride and achievement in overcoming our own-set blocks.

Hubert

Stopped builds with me have a clear reason, recovery usually means buying another kit for major parts. Not going to do that. Someone with better skills might be able to recover it, but model time is dear, time to move on. I enjoy GBs, and participate in as many as i can, finally built a Spitfire, did a Sturmovik and others here and on ARC. If the subject really doesn't appeal to me i'll wait for the next. In the meantime, i'll find something else to build. It's all good....

Don

Ok....instead of chucking these started models in the garbage bin, you guys can Clear the shelf of Doom by sending them off to me...I take the challenge on of seeing how many I can actually salvage to a presentable state. I love a good challenge.

I am serious. I already have one such SoD project coming my way from a most generous LSP'er. I have done several repairs and restorations for museums in the past.

If you have, or upon your next SoD disaster....don't throw it in the garbage - PM me !

Joe

Ok....instead of chucking these started models in the garbage bin, you guys can Clear the shelf of Doom by sending them off to me...I take the challenge on of seeing how many I can actually salvage to a presentable state. I love a good challenge.

I am serious. I already have one such SoD project coming my way from a most generous LSP'er. I have done several repairs and restorations for museums in the past.

If you have, or upon your next SoD disaster....don't throw it in the garbage - PM me !

Joe

Deal!!!

Edited by dmthamade

Some of you may almost recognize this bit of (twisted) prose...

"Give me your tired LSP kit, your poor mangled plastic,

Your huddled masses of styrene yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming modeling bench.

Send these, the homely, tempest-tossed to me.

I lift my magnifying work lamp and tubes of putty and glue beside the golden door."

:) :) :)

Joe

I think we should postpone the "Next group Build" for three months. Seriously. Perhaps extend the Jurassic build. Some awesome talent going there mates.

We should collectively post more on the "work in progress" forum to clear the SOD for " us" underachievers. Therefore, waiting patiently for that new P-51B kit as promised! We all know it's a few months out hitting the shelves near you. Obviously, this will trigger an awesome all out P-51 Group.

Oh Lordy, If it's another jet build, I think I'm going to be sick! Ha ha Just kidding you little Mirage builders, you!

P.S.

Jets are for kids. If it sucks, squeezes, burns & blows, well you got that last part right! I make a living off them and I certainly know. Lol. Just kidding.

Troy

What about a trainers and tugs GB? Or has that already been done?

Some great paint schemes and lots of variety.

Anyone up for a Beaufighter in Yellow and black stripes?

Maybe not a Beaufighter, but I could envision a bumble bee Lizzie :frantic:

So that would be a "Tugging and training day GB" ?

Hubert

I think we should postpone the "Next group Build" for three months. Seriously. Perhaps extend the Jurassic build. Some awesome talent going there mates.

We should collectively post more on the "work in progress" forum to clear the SOD for " us" underachievers. Therefore, waiting patiently for that new P-51B kit as promised! We all know it's a few months out hitting the shelves near you. Obviously, this will trigger an awesome all out P-51 Group.

Oh Lordy, If it's another jet build, I think I'm going to be sick! Ha ha Just kidding you little Mirage builders, you!

P.S.

Jets are for kids. If it sucks, squeezes, burns & blows, well you got that last part right! I make a living off them and I certainly know. Lol. Just kidding.

Troy

I would be pleased as punch for an extension to the Jurassic Plastic GB. I still have a bit to do on my Beaufighter...