Wingnut kit for beginner

Monty Python

I would say Fokker D.VII, but they are way too expensive since WNW sold out.

So a Junkers J.1 would be a good bet. Not cheap as it's a two seater, but no rigging! Otherwise, Roden's Dr.1 Triplane is cheaper and has minimal rigging.

Don't know the WNW D.VII having never built one.  However whilst Dean is right about the minimal rigging on the Roden Dr.1, it is not the easiest build in the world: I'm doing one atm, using the Encore boxing, and the quality is OK, but nowhere near WNW; the cockpit and internal framing is very tricky to align properly and a lot of trimming and adjustment is needed generally.  So it may not be the best option for a first WWI.  In fact, I'd suggest diving straight in to a WNW - it's not difficult, everything is in the box, it's good quality (as you'd expect for the price!) and you're more likely to end up with a model you're happy with.

[Edit: somehow I ended up saying "... internal farming ..." above - growing crops using an old aeroplane?? :oops: ]

Which of the WNW kits appeals the most to you? The Pup, Camel, or Snipe?

Here's an idea: Get the Pup. Straight forward build, lots of aspects to detail, should you choose, and if it goes out of production, you'll have one. The idea to get a cheapy Spad, or Camel from Hobby craft is no bad either. You might look at our T/B.

Pup seems to be relatively simple.

I;d suggest the WNW Sopwith Triplane which has minimal rigging for an RFC aircraft, though not as minimal as its Fokker copy.

Don't let the quantity of wings put you off, its rigging is less complex than a Bristol M1 monoplane.

As has been mentioned, the Pup is a simple design, arguably more iconic, and by the time you've successfully attached two or three wires the remainder are largely just a matter of patience attrition. And it's not a race, so continue when ready.

My first WNW was the Sopwith Tripe, although rigging is not minimal as said above.  I thought of it as enough to give me plenty of practice.

DOnt be afraid of the rigging, it's really easy, at least easier than it looks like.

Just buy a roll of EZ line, some microtube if you want to make the turnbuckles, a good pair of tweezers, and it's child play.

THe first WNW i built was the Pup. It's a simple kit, with not too many parts and an easy fit. THe rigging is on the british side, i mean it's not 2 or 3 wires, you will have a lot to do, but believe me it'll be done in no more than 2 or 3 hours. Ok, maybe 4 hours because it's the first time.

If you're really afraid of rigging, you can try any of the Fokker D.VII kits, but they are way more difficult. There a 2 wires on each wing only.

Or the Junkers J.I, with no rigging at all. :)

Yes, it is easier than you think, although I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it.  If I'm not it's just not enjoyable, if I am it's very theraputic.  It's not that difficult, the thought is worse than the reality in my experience. But you do need to plan ahead.  So my suggestion is to go for a Triplane or Pup - or maybe an S.E.5a - and enjoy.

Edited by MikeC