1/32 Kittyhawk F-84F Thunderstreak & RF-84F Thunderflash !

SharkOwl

1 hour ago, Jack said:

It's their privilige (as well as mine btw) as much as it is your privilige to consider it NOT a shake and bake Tamiya-like kit..........some actual building, adjusting and modelling is required to build most kits.............

I do t think anyone has a problem with a bit of building, adjusting etc.  

Put it it this way: you get a tradesman in for a job, a decorator perhaps, he does the job using poor quality materials and is sloppy with the paint,  he even forgets to paint one wall. Would you still be happy to pay him the full whack?  oh that don’t matter mate, here is your cash’. 

That is is what we are talking about here. It is not just about some poor fit, not just about a few errors in the instructions, not just about missing parts (has anyone actually scratch built that missing forward bulkhead yet, to build the kit as per the instructions).  Not to mention the crap quality brittle plastic, those ejector pin marks etc etc. 

This is sheer carelessness in design and manufacture releasing a shoddy kit before it was developed up to a decent standard.  

There is is a massive gulf between Tamiya ‘shake and bake’ and this Kitty Hawk crap with most of what we build being in between. All kits have issues but the Bronco takes the prize for the worse kits that I have ever cut plastic on and I do not exclude those old kits from 30 years ago.   Kitty Hawk should be ashamed of themselves for not taking even a little care over this. 

Edited by BarryWilliams

I've been saying for years that Tamiya should issue a new 1/48 series "Century Series Jets in Japan". Then we'd get a decent RF-101C, F-102A and F-105D/F which the Chinese can pantograph to 1/32.

I'm in for the Kitty Hawk Streak and Flash regardless. Satisfying 1/32 heft. I can't take smaller scale kits of those subjects remotely seriously any longer,

Tony 

Its hard for me at shows to even pay attention to 1/48th. Its just like there are SO many of them on the tables, and they are so dinky appearing (WWI, WWII and Nam era fighters that is) that it barely registers with me, which is probably a shame since Im sure there is good work in there. 

Fighters like an F-84F in 1/48th are just too small in stature for me to even remotely be a presence that I would gravitate to as a model unless it was on its own away from others models where I would not expect to see an aircraft model. 

I, for one, am looking forward to the F-84 series in 1:32 scale. As Brian states in his post it is hard for me to get excited for anything smaller. Building exclusively 1:32 for the last 10 years I will never go back to anything smaller. 1:32 scale "grabs" me, smaller scales do not. And let's face it, for my 60 something eyes and fingers this scale is easier than any other.

As for some lamenting Kittyhawk models in general ( I get it), I choose a  a different viewpoint. Kittyhawk has chosen to produce models that I want to model in my chosen scale. I can't wait to get have one in my hands.

You could sell me the world's first perfect model and I would probably muck it up. I will gladly purchase an imperfect model and do my best to improve it and make it mine. That is how I approach modelling.  I know others have different views, whatever floats your boat, er..... airplane.

Dan

I still think Kitty Hawk might make a 1/32 Grumman Duck one day, which will float a lot of boats, er... airplanes.

The Streak and Flash should generate a lot of great AM decals. And resin AM accessories: need to get one of those dinky starter units from Videoaviation. 

Tony 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, thierry laurent said:

No, this is a Thunderrage or should it be a Mirastreak? 

Thundermirage to be exactly Thierry.

This comes from the Belgian Wings site

"Numerous F-84F were used as decoys at most of Belgium’s operational air bases and some of them were even modified to look like Mirage fighters which were identified by the personnel as “Thundermirages”. On the ground these modifications looked horrible but from the air it was very difficult to see the difference with a real Mirage

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Wikipedia says the Rwandan Air Force flew 6 RF-84Fs from 1973-1990. I have *never* heard of that before. Google has no photos. I’m calling BS on it until I see some proof.

It is curious, but doesn't say "flew" but merely lists Rwanda as a former "operator" (owner). 

Somebody who likes chunky cigars and arms dealing might have sold six "previously owned, not many scratches" crated jets to Rwanda. 

Some might have been assembled and even run up engines a bit, though I seriously doubt — given the warm African air — that Rwanda had a runway even remotely long enough to permit take off. The Streak (I don't think they were sold Flashes) required a lot of runway.

Very curious story, which is worth a giggle. 

Tony

On 7/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, quang said:

I built this Kitty Hawk F9F-8 on the heels of my RF-101C. It took me one month to finish it.

It's the same model that made a noted Internet reviewer throw a tantrum and bin the kit 15 minutes after he opened the box. 

I'd say bring on the accountants who run model kit companies :beer4:

11-A96958-3-B3-D-43-AB-BF8-C-E906-D0263-

Lovely model and finish

@crobinsonh thank you for your kind words. 

I always found that Kitty Hawk has been unjustly treated in certain quarters of the internet. KH bashing has even become a current trend in some forums.

Despite the glitches, KH kits offer a great potential for super-detailing and conversion. 

Let the moaners moan and the modellers model.:)