1/32 Kittyhawk F-84F Thunderstreak & RF-84F Thunderflash !

SharkOwl

Guest Smitty44

I thoroughly enjoyed the Kingfisher, and have the OV-10. What I find dissapointing is it seems Glen, who used to seek insight and take suggestions here, no longer finds our company hospitable. I sure hope I get a chance to say hello in Omaha.

The P-39, whilst not released the first, IS, from my understanding, the first 1/32 kit developed by KH.

As mentioned by others, the latest releases like the T-28, OV-10 or Kingfisher have shown marked progress, whilst still not shake-and-bake, and HAVE been built in great replicas, here and on other sites. And is it necessary to remind that at least they are not the umpteenth release of the 109-Spitfire-Mustang-190 quartet ?

As for Glen, I am not his speaker, and he is a grown-up to speak for himself if he wants to, but, 1) fighting cancer is almost a full-time occupation, and 2) if point 1 alone is not enough, the flak KH have received, and still continue to receive, by some, here and on other forums, would justify taking a step back, for "sanitary" reasons ...

Hubert

I tend to take KH with the grain of salt. I have their Texan almost done but it was just eh as a building experience and with this kit and the T-28 their decal choices were almost all warbirds which irks the crap out of me. I have the OV-10a and it seems nice but the wing engineering looks week to me.

I have to say that I applaud KH's subject choices but in general I deplore their engineering and general fiddle nature. I think I wholly agree with Doog on that point. There were a few moments with the Texan where I just thought WTF....which is sorta why it sits partially finished.

As to the F-84's I look forward to seeing them but reserve judgement till then. I like vebthe thunderstreak/flash but the subject matter alone won't be enough to compel me to buy. I am in the same boat with the Italeri Mirages. Love the mirage but I have little confidence in Italeri's execution of the kit from an engineering standpoint.

Just my $.02

Zach

As for Glen, I am not his speaker, and he is a grown-up to speak for himself if he wants to, but, 1) fighting cancer is almost a full-time occupation

Hubert

Cancer? What has cancer to do with this? Is Glen afflicted?

Cancer? What has cancer to do with this? Is Glen afflicted?

Yes, Kevin, Glen mentioned it explicitly in one of his posts here, and also, last year, that this was declared over. Which was good news and I can only hope they are long-standing.

Hubert

Like  Pete, I've learned over the many years in the hobby that these lists are nearly useless. When the kits hit the shelves is when I'll decide to buy, or pass at least for now.

Joel

Yes, Kevin, Glen mentioned it explicitly in one of his posts here, and also, last year, that this was declared over. Which was good news and I can only hope they are long-standing.

Hubert

OK, thanks. I had no idea.

• 9 months later...

I was looking at the list of kits coming out and saw the Hasegawa A6M2-N Ruth! Oh yeah! Then quickly realized it was the first 1:48 kit on top of the list. Ha. Bummer. That would be a great kit to have.

A 1/32 Nakajima Suisen is doable using the Tamiya kit and MDC resin conversion. I have the combo safely stashed for the future.

Heart still skips a beat when this 1/32 'Streak and 'Flash thread bumps up. Perfect companions to the Hobby Boss F-84 Thunderjet.

Will be good to see the forthcoming F-5E.

Tony

Oh yes the Kingfisher kit has some fiddly over-engineering (eee gadds the engine!). But if you need some perspective on fiddly to keep you going then look at one of the (me thinks) beautiful Bronco 88mm flak kits. Three sheets of PE for the gun station and the R-2 SAM. Two weeks to do the PE! The gun positioning wheelies break off. I the end the gun looks great and the Kingfisher looks great. The Kingfisher is such an iconic aircraft not to have on my built shelf and I can still tip my hat to Glen for taking the risk.

PS: once you build one the next one goes very much faster.

Rick

Oh yes the Kingfisher kit has some fiddly over-engineering (eee gadds the engine!). But if you need some perspective on fiddly to keep you going then look at one of the (me thinks) beautiful Bronco 88mm flak kits. Three sheets of PE for the gun station and the R-2 SAM. Two weeks to do the PE! The gun positioning wheelies break off. I the end the gun looks great and the Kingfisher looks great. The Kingfisher is such an iconic aircraft not to have on my built shelf and I can still tip my hat to Glen for taking the risk.

PS: once you build one the next one goes very much faster.

Rick

Is the Bronco kit any better than the Dragon kit, which within itself is gorgeous?

• 1 year later...