Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

10 hours ago, red Dog said:

I realised I never posted picture of the finished setup. Sorry about that.

With both model finished, I needed to make the link between the two.
The basket was done with different parts from the scratch box (rods, guitar wires and photoetch parts initially meant for a EF2000 exhaust fan,...)

The guitar wires are a bit larger than what the real part should be but at least give proper structure to the basket.

A6A7_220_A6_drogue.png 

The PE part for structure was then hidden under strips of paper towel washed in PVA glue + water and let to dry and the process was repeated until I was happy with the texture of the basket.

The A-7 probe fits nicely into the basket allowing proper connection between the 2 aircraft.

A6A7_225_A7_drogue.png

The fuel hose is a metal hanger cut to length and painted black. distance marks were painted light brown every 10 feet scaled down to 1/32

The metal rod is inserted into the KA-6D reel

A6A7_224_A6_Hose.png

The base is made of black painted MDF. I wanted the base to be sober not to attract too much attention from the eyes of the viewers.

Getting the support transparent rods angle right took a few attempts :) 

The 2 aircraft are offset from each other as clearly seen from the following picture:

A6A7_227_A7_final_offset.png

Pictures of the finished setup:

First the final intruder:

A6A7_228_A6_final.png

A6A7_229_A6_final.png

Then the A-7

A6A7_232_A7_final.png

And the finished diorama:

A6A7_231_final.png

A6A7_229_final.png

Attempt on a blue background:

A6A7_228_final.png

And a photoshop essay on a sky background

A6A7_230_final_clouds.png

Sorry for the time it took to uplaod final pictures, after finishing the model, I discovered dust inside the A6 canopy and had to remove it, clean it and reassemble it in place. It took me quite a while to get there.

But this one is finally complete. And it was quite a journey !!

Thank you all for looking.

This is so cool!  One of the neatest builds I have ever seen!

Thank you all for your very nice comments. 

18 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Will you protect this behind a glass case? I would be worried about dust collecting and hard to clean up.

Alain

Well, unfortunately I built this one knowing I had no room to display it. 

The original idea was to display it at the local hobby shop in Brussels, plans were made with the owner and it was built for the dimensions of his display cases in the shop.

Unfortunately the LHS closed as I was building the Corsair. It was already a long while ago.

I could have abandonned the build but that's not me. So I pressed on but had to find an alternative way to display the models. 

I have multiple bases for the 2 aircraft. The one you see above when I want to display the models together in their AAR scenario, which happens from time to time without dust protection

But each aircraft also  has its own base when I want to protect them in my own display cabinet.

The problem with my cabinet is they are homemade under the slope of a roof and if I have the depth for the wingspan I don't have the required height for the intruder when it refuels the A7, So I had to lower it making the AAR scene impossible to display. 

A6A7_233_final.png

Once again, many thanks for all your feedback along the build, It's a pleasure to do WIP on LSP with you guys

Oh brother!!!  Don'

t know where I"ve been hiding but I just caught on to this project and I'm blown away.  So very creative and incredibly detailed.  I'm very impressed with the entire effort and would love to see this in person...maybe at a museum.  Thanks for sharing with us and please continue to post more work cause I"m a fan now.