Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Excellent progress, really looking forward to seeing the whole finished set up with the A-6/A-7 combo.

(you may want to remove that red speed brake warning decal on the fuselage, not applicable for that time, they weren't being used as brakes anymore)

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Excellent advice Ziggy. I overlooked that obvious bit - it's now corrected thanks to you. Many thanks

I spent the whole weekend working towards the goal of closing the canopy

So first thing was finishing painting the pilots in their desert storm suits and mating them to the seats

Looks like VA-35 pilots had these chocolate chips flight suits 

A6A7_199_A6_pilots.png

A6A7_200_A6_pilots.png

Worked a bit more on their office,

A6A7_203_A6_emptypit.png

And step them inside: 

A6A7_201_A6_pilots.png

A6A7_202_A6_pilots.png

A6A7_205_A6_pilots.png

Then tidying up some wires, gluing Hud glass, handles, mirrors and correcting a few touch of paint here and there and I'll be ready to close 524 up

A6A7_204_A6_pilots.png

• 2 weeks later...

Last run before the finish line :)

The top surfaces were not as weathered as the under fuselage white and getting some grey paint for corrosion control on the top fuselage was way too subtle to my liking, so I needed some more smoke paint.

Out came again the scratching effect and the tamiya smoke colour, but not before a safeguard alclad gloss coat

A6A7_207_A6_last_Weathering.png

The tamiya smoke was scratched with the old brush or various sponges to vary the effects. it's very visible on the picture , more sublte on the model (due to contrast at post production)

Then the base grey was applied again as corrosion control

A6A7_208_A6_last_Weathering.png

The inner intakes were weathered by the same technique, and I destroyed the homemade decal red corner doing so !

A6A7_209_A6_Intake.png

And the fuselage behing the cockpit as well, albeit with more corrosion control subtle touch ups 

A6A7_210_A6_fuselage.png

All 4 wing bags are attached and the heavy D-704 as well. That extra weight really doesn't help the supporting pole. The model ended up very heavy 

A6A7_214_A6_belly.png

Final shot for today is the canopy. It's always a great achievment when the masking tape are removed from the canopy and you discover the crew inside. 

It's one of these special moment, usually marking the end of the project ...

A6A7_211_A6_cockpit.png

But before calling it done, I have to do some engineering on the stand for the 2 models - and get my distances right

And of course scratching that drogue ...

Edited by red Dog
sp