Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc is out in Germany

Lothar

Guest The Southern Bandit

... add to that the multitude of inaccuracies ... if it was surface detail alone - even at the more expensive retail to get it into my hands, I might be willing to take the punt ... but yeah, agreed!

... I didn't 'come down hard' on anyone - in any location ... furthermore, if I walked my life with a 'victim' mentality, I wouldn't be where I am today - I would still be in a holding pattern of just surviving.

I empathise with those that are in that boat at any given time frame - as I have been there ... but that doesn't mean that present situations need to remain a permanent fixture.

Perhaps that is where the misunderstanding has occurred?

I did come down hard on Revell, though! ...

Revell have the time and resources available to produce a much better result than some of their more recent offerings ... and have proven it by producing some gems! 

Examples include the Ar.196, He.111's, Ju.88's and Fw.190F-8.

They have, however, chosen to be less than diligent with some of their other efforts.

Examples include their recent He.219, Bf.109's and Spitfires.

Basically they are acting in the same fashion as Trumpeter have been accused of in the past.

Some kits are staggeringly brilliant ... and others, not so much.

BUT ... here's the gripping hand! ... I have never said that any of their kits are 'unbuildable' ... I have just pointed out that errors do, in fact, exist on their kits and that everyones definition of value for money is different.

You see a decent kit at a more-than-reasonable price ... I see a kit laden with careless errors that could have been avoided easily - that would cost me a fair amount to buy and correct (setting aside the additional detail), most likely costing in excess of the Tamiya kit.

My position on this particular kit would be VERY different if:

1/ The basic exterior shape and detail were correct

2/ I could buy and have it shipped to me for substantially less than the Tamiya option.

We could very well be having the same discussion in relation to a P.51D (Trumpeter, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Zoukei-Mura, Dragon)

and AGAIN - for those who think the kit looks good enough for them ... and a bargain ... and can produce an assembled product that they like: congratulations!

Rog :)

You put an awful lot of effort into writing negatively about something you wont buy and have not even seen, but hey, its your time not mine.

I'm happy with the kit now its here and that's all that matters, tell you what though Rog, there are a lot worse kits in my stash than this and yours too I'm sure, £25 delivered I was and some folk expect perfection ... oh dear, some folk just have unrealistic expectations perhaps.

And on that note I'll bow out, seen where these debates go and its nowhere.

:coolio:

You put an awful lot of effort into writing negatively about something you wont buy and have not even seen, but hey, its your time not mine.

I'm happy with the kit now its here and that's all that matters, tell you what though Rog, there are a lot worse kits in my stash than this and yours too I'm sure, £25 delivered I was and some folk expect perfection ... oh dear, some folk just have unrealistic expectations perhaps.

And on that note I'll bow out, seen where these debates go and its nowhere.

:coolio:

Not at all ... I spent the time to take the focus away from the personal commentary on me being made, just because I don't subscribe to a certain point of view - and focused back on to the subject at hand.

I've seen plenty: sprue shots and build ... hence the reason I won't buy! ... I don't ever buy sight/review unseen these days.

However, I do agree with your followup comments ... your happiness with your purchase IS only what matters ... and I'll definitely agree ... Like you, I have made far worse purchases!!

Edited by Artful69

Que? ;)

Gawd help us when the Revell Mustang arrives :)

Tony

lol ... that gave me a smile Tony! :D ...

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing how that P.51D stacks up against the abundant competition.

It seems every man and his tail wagging K9 pet has kitted this in 1/32.

Que? ;)

Gawd help us when the Revell Mustang arrives :)

Tony

That made me laugh! Yes, I've been preparing sandbags for that "conversation"!!

As for the Revell Spitfires, I think I'll wait to see what price it lands at here in the Great White North. The Spitfire Mk.II and the 109s are available locally at our friendly LHS for $36.00Cdn. I'd be happy with a Spitfire IX at that price, and Tony's builds have reassured me that the kit is no monstrosity, and in fact builds up beautifully. I can see areas that need improvement but as Tony has shown they're not insurmountable. I'd say I'm a modeller who is definitely more concerned than the "looks like the aircraft to me" faction, but not so fussed I have to correct everything...unless it was a Mustang.  :) 

At a similar price I will likely buy it to support Revell, and be quite happy to work on the things that bug me. But if the price were higher as Rog said they might be down there, maybe I might not bother. 

There are no perfect kits, even the Tamiya Mustang has some compromises. Like others have said, it depends on your particular sets of calculations whether it's worth buying...price/effort to correct to your standard/availability/risk of infuriating your better half. 

Richard

... At a similar price I will likely buy it to support Revell, and be quite happy to work on the things that bug me. But if the price were higher as Rog said they might be down there, maybe I might not bother ...

It would seem that the pricing for this kit in Europe is similar to the previous Spitfire and 109's so you might be in luck. Out here the cheapest I've seen the Mk.IIa go for is between $55-70 AUD, plus postage (which can be quite steep)

I got my all my Revell kits out of UK/Euroupe, delivered here, for a decent percentage less than they would have cost otherwise.

Edited by Artful69

It'll proof they are targeting price points not accuracy. :popcorn:

Exactly!

Revell are there to make money. They do so by selling a lot of models cheaply. 

Price, availability, ease of construction, logistics, retailers, sales volumes, low manufacture costs - these are what Revell are concentrating on.

To their target market, the models are more than acceptable. For Revell to invest more in trying to get kits more accurate - as we define it - is a waste of money. They only need to be "good enough", rather than even attempt to be perfect.

It means an awful lot of people can build a Mk.IX Spitfire in 1/32 who previously would not have been able to afford it.  

And that's laudable. We tend to be too insular as a group, thinking only of what us anal modellers expect.

You know what, this has been a fun conversation, even if we don't all agree, and yep I'll buy the forthcoming Revell Mustang too and will enjoy our debate about it as well :)

I've a soft spot for Spitfires and Mustangs ... even bought the Trumpeter P-51B knowing its faults, but have learned to overlook them and only correct (to my mind) what is reasonable to do with the A/M I've bought for it.

You know what, this has been a fun conversation, even if we don't all agree, and yep I'll buy the forthcoming Revell Mustang too and will enjoy our debate about it as well :)

I've a soft spot for Spitfires and Mustangs ... even bought the Trumpeter P-51B knowing its faults, but have learned to overlook them and only correct (to my mind) what is reasonable to do with the A/M I've bought for it.

I looked at grabbing the Trumpeter Mustang III (RAF) ... but the fit issues (as well as the accuracy ones) scared me off. I'm not as easily deterred by Trumpeter kits as most but with the HK kit on the Horizon ... I've held off.

I have my fingers crossed for the Revell P.51D - I very much doubt Revell will butcher it as much as Dragon did and its bound to be better than the much earlier Hasegawa kit ...

Everyone looks for something different in their kits ... and everyones perception of value for money is different ...

Revell have certainly charged into the LSP market in a big way this year ... what is it - 5 kits? ... you have to give them credit for that!!

I must admit Rog, bought the Dragon P-51D once, seemed OK at first, but in looking closer the deep recessed panel lines must have been about a scale one inch thick at least, way over zealous sculpting, but have seen one or two examples built up very nicely, where there is a will there is a way I suppose :)

I sold mine and its A/M as soon as I learned the Tamiya kit was about to be released.