Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc is out in Germany

Lothar

Guest The Southern Bandit

But click on the number and the list includes mostly kits sold at €10.80 - not the same kit, surely?

Why should anyone worry how many have been sold?

Its a £25 kit, you can spend that and more on a basic cockpit set for something like this.

Remember two things when discussing new kits like this:

1)  For some, the price/accuracy/build-ability equation for this kit will be positive, they will buy it and be happy

2)  For some, the price/accuracy/build-ability equation for this kit will be negative, and they won't buy it and be happy

AND EITHER ONE IS FINE! 

The problem comes when someone tries to force their views on someone else.  If someone says they won't be buying the kit, and says why, that in no way detracts from someone else who says they will buy the kit and why.  But, we often see some folks here that seem to think that if someone else feels differently than them, and lists the reasons why, it's a personal affront to the fact that they feel differently and starts attacking the other person.  For example, if someone else says that they won't buy they kit and list the reasons for their OPINION, it should not lessen one bit the enjoyment someone else gets from buying and building the kit.  If it does, then I think that person has deeper issues to deal with.

However, as a discussion board, there should be nothing wrong with discussing our OPINIONS of any kit along with the reasons for those opinions.  If everyone remembers the above, there should be no one getting their feelings hurt and getting defensive.

Edited by DougN

The trouble is, if someone says they aren't going to get it because it isn't accurate, or doesn't fit, or some other similar reason, it is quite easy to get the impression they are being a bit 'superior' to those less discerning souls who are happy with rubbish.

And conversely, if someone says they ARE going to get it in the full knowledge of all these highlighted issues, it is quite easy to get the impression they are being a bit 'superior' to those less capable souls who are not up to the task of sorting the problems out.

Either way, someone's nose gets a bit out of joint. Mostly, completely without reason!!  It is one of those awkward limitations of typing instead of talking face to face.

I hope neither affects me. But then, even this can give the impression I am being a bit 'superior' to those who keep rising to the bait!

See, tricky, ain't it??!!

Tim

PS I DO feel a bit superior to those who gleefully, hopefully, ecstatically hope and prey that certain companies products are riddled with errors, though. Especially when they judge merely on a 'coming soon' announcement!  That must take real effort!!

Guest Peterpools

I accept Revell kits for what they are: excellent values for the money. Will be buying and enjoying building the kit basically OOB; the front offcie will need a touch here and there and I'll be a happy camper.

Peter :)

Well good for you Rog, you have a bazillion and one kits but cant do this one? Are you for real?

There no requirements needed for this kit over and above anyone chooses, its all optional, of course you could spend more on this than a Tamiya stock one Rog, but that would be defeating the point.

The point is we have a really good option to choose here for a great looking kit that will appeal to lots of us who do not have your luxury deep pocket and choice of kits.

I defy you to look at Tonys build here Rog and tell me that's not a masterpiece, at time of his build there were no particular AM for this kit, so respect is due. I've got one arriving soon and refuse to be put off by some of the elite here, this is a good kit and well worth anyone's money.

Really looking forward to Revell's P-51D now.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68072

I don't have 'bazillion and one kits' ... whatever that means ... I'm guessing it's a large amount?

And I'm choosing to avoid the purchase of this one ... rather than 'can't' ... yes I'm for real!!

Buying AM, correction sets, putty, plastic card etcetera IS optional, as you rightly point out ... but that isn't defeating the point, for me - that IS the point.

As I've said before, the kit seems to represent decent value for money - especially in Europe, and most likely the USA ... the pricing becomes a lot steeper in Australia (one of the 'bonuses' of a remote part of the world, I'm guessing).

My point is ... FOR ME - to buy the kit ... and then bring the kit up to an accuracy standard anywhere approaching the Tamiya one (forgetting the extra detail) currently available on the market ...

I would probably have to invest as much as, if not more than, what it would cost me to have the Tamiya kit delivered to my front door ... plus improve my modelling skills at the same time.

This isn't snobbery ... nor is it elitism ... For me, it's simply a wise choice.

We all know (or should know) that no kit out there is perfect ... but if there is a more accurate rendition out there of any particular kit - my tendency moves toward that.

I have job that I work long hours at, in order to earn the 'extra' cash I have for 'spending' ... some people have families to look after ... or a mortgage to pay ... and at times I envy them!!

Even so ... I had to wait 3 years after starting my current job, before I could afford the 'luxury' of buying the Tamiya Spitfires - I had much bigger priorities - a roof over my head, food in my stomach, electricity, gas etc ... but for me, they were worth the wait and every cent spent.

For those who see value for their money in the newer Revell kit ... or indeed, posses the skill set to extract an accurate rendition out of it ... I applaud them.

Tony's build is quite nice to look at ... he's done very well.

Rog :)

If you're a TLAR (that looks about right) person, then the Revell Kit is the best bet. Cheap (inexpensive), relatively accurate, looks good hanging from the ceiling in the kids room, and basic simple construction. For the Masters among us (and there are many) then the Tamiya kit is the only choice. To each his own.

Cheers,

Dick      :whistle:  :whistle:

Edited by Night Hog

As I'm still unable to build very much, and I mean pretty much anything, buying this kit might be pure folly. But it looks nice to my eye and far more attractive than the Mk.II. So buildability has to rank very high, just in case things are going well enough to permit a tad of modelling.

About ninety per cent (not a scientifically calculated statistic) of kits I buy fall into the category somewhere between TLAR and accurate. The small tenth that do not are subjects I have wasted far too much time studying in detail, so inaccuracy is irritating.

This Spitty might be a nice kit to kick down the trauma fence with.

Tony

Guest The Southern Bandit

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Mine arrived the other day and it looks OK to me, will build it for sure, only issue I envisage is maybe the wing dihedral, but I wont be doing any angle measurements.

If the wings end up looking too flat on a dry fit, well LOL, even I'll know how to remedy that, otherwise kit looks a good one to me.

Sorry if I was too hard on you Rog, but you came down hard on the economy side of modellers here and I had to respond, still able to afford the finest myself too, but only just, cut backs are getting ever deeper in the UK and its not good the way things are going.

Honestly, after opening the box, really looking fwd to getting into it soon and to build another Revell MKII Spitfire along with it, sort of kill two birds with one stone modeling impetus strike :)

I just can't get past the rows of machine gun bullet holes all over it. I'm not going to build many 1/32 Spits, and I wouldn't waste my effort on one covered with divots. That (to my eye) is not what a Spitfire looks like.

... add to that the multitude of inaccuracies ... if it was surface detail alone - even at the more expensive retail to get it into my hands, I might be willing to take the punt ... but yeah, agreed!

... but you came down hard on the economy side of modellers here and I had to respond ...

... I didn't 'come down hard' on anyone - in any location ... furthermore, if I walked my life with a 'victim' mentality, I wouldn't be where I am today - I would still be in a holding pattern of just surviving.

I empathise with those that are in that boat at any given time frame - as I have been there ... but that doesn't mean that present situations need to remain a permanent fixture.

Perhaps that is where the misunderstanding has occurred?

I did come down hard on Revell, though! ...

Revell have the time and resources available to produce a much better result than some of their more recent offerings ... and have proven it by producing some gems! 

Examples include the Ar.196, He.111's, Ju.88's and Fw.190F-8.

They have, however, chosen to be less than diligent with some of their other efforts.

Examples include their recent He.219, Bf.109's and Spitfires.

Basically they are acting in the same fashion as Trumpeter have been accused of in the past.

Some kits are staggeringly brilliant ... and others, not so much.

BUT ... here's the gripping hand! ... I have never said that any of their kits are 'unbuildable' ... I have just pointed out that errors do, in fact, exist on their kits and that everyones definition of value for money is different.

You see a decent kit at a more-than-reasonable price ... I see a kit laden with careless errors that could have been avoided easily - that would cost me a fair amount to buy and correct (setting aside the additional detail), most likely costing in excess of the Tamiya kit.

My position on this particular kit would be VERY different if:

1/ The basic exterior shape and detail were correct

2/ I could buy and have it shipped to me for substantially less than the Tamiya option.

We could very well be having the same discussion in relation to a P.51D (Trumpeter, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Zoukei-Mura, Dragon)

and AGAIN - for those who think the kit looks good enough for them ... and a bargain ... and can produce an assembled product that they like: congratulations!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69