Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc is out in Germany

Lothar

That's the Tamiya kit against the Revell kit?

Now, I'm no expert on anything, especially Spitfires - but I'm not sure the Revell fuselage should be shorter - way shorter - than the Tamiya kit?

20170408_123315_zpsvmgrpuz7.jpg

As Richard said (and Cees intimated in his first post), this is the Revell Mk.II Spitfire fuselage halve mated against the Revell Mk.IX fuselage half.

Derek

What I see here is the very same can of worms as their Mk2.

... with extras ... honestly, if you whacked all the sprues unidentified on a table in front of some critics and asked them who they thought manufacturer was - I bet you'd get a fair swag say Trumpeter or Hobbyboss.

The kit is obviously NOT unbuildable by any means ... but I think a fair amount of skill, AM and 'product' (plastic card, putty, filler, sanding sticks etc) are required to make it into a reasonable rendition - acceptable to someone with a trained eye for Spitfires. Definitely a 'modellers' kit.

The pricing in Europe would make it attractive over there ... but over here? - not so much. Especially when pricing point isn't my only guideline either ... 

Rog :)

Guest The Southern Bandit

I dunno, maybe I'm not so fussy or not so much of a Spitfire expert as I should be? but I've built the recent MKII and have another waiting to be built along with 2 x Tamiya Spitfires and have this new Revell Mk.IXc arriving tomorrow, probably ... and it will probably get built before my Tamiya ones and be no less the enjoyable for being less complicated or cheaper.

Intend to use minimal AM too.

I'm looking fwd to it and will probably build this and my other Revell MKII side by side and they will look like Spitfires to me and will bring me up to 4 built 1/32 Spits quite soon before I contemplate my Tamiya ones :)

Indeed, you cannot compare it to Tamiya for that price but it makes a good rendering of the Mk IX and it will sell by the bucketload. I like it and accept it's "issues". The dihedral can be adjusted if you cut the web where the vokes filter is fitted, then the wings slack and it is possible to give it more dihedral with tape spanning the wingtips. The wing looks a bit fat, I'll accept that. So far it looks very nice and I enjoy working on it. The wings were together within the hour, so were the tailbits. The interior is crude at some points, meaning you will have to dig out some parts from the heavy sprue attachements. But overall it's nice if you are prepared to do some work on it. As Kev says Tony has one very nice build going on and that after only about a week and a half.

Edited by Cees Broere

Don't buy it, then!

At over half the price of the Tamiya kit delivered ... I definitely won't!! ... The price alone of AM/corrections etc required will take the price in excess of the Tamiya (here).

BUT ... for someone like Cees and his modelling expertise (and living in Europe where it's much cheaper to buy) ... I can understand the thought that the kit is an absolute bargain.

Guest The Southern Bandit

At over half the price of the Tamiya kit delivered ... I definitely won't!! ... The price alone of AM/corrections etc required will take the price in excess of the Tamiya (here).

BUT ... for someone like Cees and his modelling expertise (and living in Europe where it's much cheaper to buy) ... I can understand the thought that the kit is an absolute bargain.

Well good for you Rog, you have a bazillion and one kits but cant do this one? Are you for real?

There no requirements needed for this kit over and above anyone chooses, its all optional, of course you could spend more on this than a Tamiya stock one Rog, but that would be defeating the point.

The point is we have a really good option to choose here for a great looking kit that will appeal to lots of us who do not have your luxury deep pocket and choice of kits.

I defy you to look at Tonys build here Rog and tell me that's not a masterpiece, at time of his build there were no particular AM for this kit, so respect is due. I've got one arriving soon and refuse to be put off by some of the elite here, this is a good kit and well worth anyone's money.

Really looking forward to Revell's P-51D now.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68072