Revell Spitfire Mk.IXc is out in Germany

Lothar

Got mine at Cosford from Antics; other dealers had them too I think, and Hannants showing them in stock.  So fill your boots, but leave at least one more for me!

Edited by MikeC

Well for starters, Revell's is going to be about $100.00 cheaper...

But what if price isnt really ever a concern when modeling?

Im not being flippant, or saying Im rich, Im just saying that I try to get the best example of whatever I can get. If I cant, I usually wait until I can.

That being said, the whole "hundred dollars cheaper"  isnt really correct, as you can get a nice Tamiya Spit with free shipping for around $80 or so, so unless Revell is going to PAY you $100 to buy and build their kit, if all else being equal, the Tamiya kits is without a doubt the way to go.      

Being in the SUB $30 category does however put it in a different class.   Still............................dont know why, but the "you get what you pay for " adage comes to mind when I start seeing new tool LSPs for under $30.   I could be totally off-base too. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

But what if price isnt really ever a concern when modeling?

Im not being flippant, or saying Im rich, Im just saying that I try to get the best example of whatever I can get. If I cant, I usually wait until I can.

That being said, the whole "hundred dollars cheaper"  isnt really correct, as you can get a nice Tamiya Spit with free shipping for around $80 or so, so unless Revell is going to PAY you $100 to buy and build their kit, if all else being equal, the Tamiya kits is without a doubt the way to go.      

Being in the SUB $30 category does however put it in a different class.   Still............................dont know why, but the "you get what you pay for " adage comes to mind when I start seeing new tool LSPs for under $30.   I could be totally off-base too. 

Then I would say the R-G kit isn't for you. Myself, I'll pick up a couple and still have enough money left over for dinner and a movie. 

Edited by coogrfan

It comes down to what you expect out of a build. Clearly the Tamiya Spitfire IX is now the standard, and not likely to be surpassed.

But...at least in my own experience,  I don't always want to put the time and effort into what is a complicated build, even with brilliant engineering and fit. For those of us who are less experienced and skilled, or don't have a lot of time, these superkits are intimidating and a big commitment in time and effort...and money. 

If Revell can release a decent Spitfire IX for less than $40 Cdn., that has a decent cockpit and shape and minimal internal structure (that often gets hidden anyway) then I'd be happy. Most often I'm more interested in having an acceptably accurate canvas for the markings of pilots I admire or have read about.

That's not to say I won't enjoy building the Tamiya Spit IX and XVI I bought, but I would be less angry at screwing up a $40 kit. :)

Edited by R Palimaka

It comes down to what you expect out of a build. Clearly the Tamiya Spitfire IX is now the standard, and not likely to be surpassed.

But...at least in my own experience,  I don't always want to put the time and effort into what is a complicated build, even with brilliant engineering and fit. For those of us who are less experienced and skilled, or don't have a lot of time, these superkits are intimidating and a big commitment in time and effort...and money. 

If Revell can release a decent Spitfire IX for less than $40 Cdn., that has a decent cockpit and shape and minimal internal structure (that often gets hidden anyway) then I'd be happy. Most often I'm more interested in having an acceptably accurate canvas for the markings of pilots I admire or have read about.

That's not to say I won't enjoy building the Tamiya Spit IX and XVI I bought, but I would be less angry at screwing up a $40 kit.

I can also see this being a good kit for a wheels up, in flight dio/display as well.   Much more suited than the Tamiya kit it would seem.

I think that having the less expensive option isn't a bad thing, especially if you're not into "letting it all hang out". Of the five Tamiya Spits I've completed, only two have fully assembled never mind painted, engines. The three currently on my bench will double the number of built engines bays though.

It also lends itself to being a more affordable base option for those looking to build other Spitfire variants as the IX airframe seems to share a lot with other Spitfire and Seafire marks.

Carl

That's not to say I won't enjoy building the Tamiya Spit IX and XVI I bought, but I would be less angry at screwing up a $40 kit. :)

Richard, I think the only way you could screw up a kit is if you deliberately put it behind the tire of your car and drove over it back and forth a couple times :)

Carl

While I can't speak to the Spitfire, I can the Bf109G-10 they released a while back, and the Fw190F-8 (although it is no built...yet.) Both are very nice and the fit is excellent.

I think these are a great way to get into LSPs without a bunch of potential cost. For some, like myself, it is easier to try out new things without fear of screwing up an expensive kit. There is one modeler that has been building the RG 1/32 new releases straight out of the box, and getting excellent results.

My plan, now that I am stoked up on the RG kits and 1/32 scale, is to build them all! Preferably in order of release.

Richard, I think the only way you could screw up a kit is if you deliberately put it behind the tire of your car and drove over it back and forth a couple times :)

Carl

Thanks Carl, that's really kind of you...but you're talking about a guy who just spilled liquid glue on some of the parts of his 1/24 Mustang build..almost as bad lol.  :doh: :)

Edited by R Palimaka