NZPAF DH.9 (Wingnut Wings)

seiran01

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in here there's a real update, but the last 8 hours of build time yesterday/today was simply spent removing, cleaning up, and painting the interplane struts and control horns. Now that they're clear-coated, I can start attaching them and prepare to rig the tail surfaces.

Need to figure out how to do some gentle post-shading first, I've never really played with effects after the paint is down (minus some staining and simple washes). Any suggestions?

Mike I find that variations on the base coat works best. Extremely thinned lighter and darker versions sprayed over the top. No problem if you make a mistake as the paint is so thin you wont see it. Glosscoat to seal and personally I find the Vallejo washes work best for me. Note though the order of things staining the paint.

Not that I need to tell you anything....I have a lot to learn from you!

Cheers

Anthony

Alrighty, progress worth sharing! One side of tail surfaces rigged and exhaust painted and attached.

Exhaust was painted Tamiya semi-gloss black and sprayed with Aclad exhaust manifold, burnt metal, jet exhaust and gunmetal (overkill?), and finished with a light "painting" of AK track rust pigment in strategic areas using an old brush.

One thing to note is that you need to attach the front left rigging wire and cabane strut before adding the exhaust. Struts and water tank are not attached and will be left loose until joining of the upper wing. Too many moving parts to be certain of alignment by adding the top center wing at this point.

1D52E5B1-2405-4E85-BA38-1BE64C04665A_zps

C2F0DB99-9CBF-4DD8-9043-F33429E3D88C_zps

001D9012-8935-46F5-BEC4-695132DC8672_zps

Phew! Wings and ailerons are finally painted. Masking for preshade took a good two hours with 1mm masking tape and painting has taken probably 3.5 hours. Still needs a gloss coat before cockade decals.

Side note - my phone autocorrected "gloss coat" to "blood coat," should I be worried that it has alternate intents for the finish on the plane?

I used Mr Paint Clear Dope Linen Variant 2 (MRP-258) for the undersides to give some variation to the tamiya buff -painted center wing and tail surfaces. Top side remains Mr Paint PC-10 Late (MRP-253).

The large top wing balances nicely on the unglued cabane struts! A good sign for when it comes to attach everything at the end.

629F94F3-D30A-4245-9DB0-2E3A3B1BCAFC_zps

7B26C106-3BEF-42BC-AD9F-1C3EFDF97739_zps

Wing dry fit - alignment was trickier than the gotha!

E5142BF5-8B79-40CA-B33C-550D0D219AEC_zps

Leap of faith followed - fuselage rigging lines attached and top center wing glued in and weighted.

90153C93-3F86-4FEA-8E49-5861295D1BF4_zps

And finally, top wing is glued and drying! I ended up using the kit-recommended "jig" of laying the plane in the box on front of wings to set the alignment. Worked perfectly. Tape on back of wings to help ensure rear struts remain tight as glue sets.

2608D5F8-0123-46D7-ADF0-4A639356BFCB_zps

8 hours work this weekend and all I have to show for it is completed/attached wheels, windscreens, bomb sight and gun ring. I know, the black bar is upside down on the gun ring but photos show the plane with no Lewis gun attached so I'm not fussed.

75032AA3-9B8D-4FE9-8DB0-B1AA33019B00_zps