New Revell Me-262 B 1a/U1

Night Hog

I have no idea why, but that stupid end opening box drives me way crazier that more serious issues in a kit...

Hi Clunk! I don't like it either but the box design rests on German recycling laws - to keep material waste within limits they (Revell and other manufacturers) are only able to offer packaging that complies with these laws! I much prefer the Trumpeter boxes!

Cheers

Alan

Maybe those who impose those recycling laws need to know that most of us don't need to recycle the boxes....as they all still have the kits in the boxes and are sitting in our stashes collecting dust!  :whistle:

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Hi Clunk! I don't like it either but the box design rests on German recycling laws - to keep material waste within limits they (Revell and other manufacturers) are only able to offer packaging that complies with these laws! I much prefer the Trumpeter boxes!

Cheers

Alan

Being German I am not aware on a law about à la Revell. In my understanding it more simple: such a box, one-sided coated and printed, then folded up from a single sheet of card saves them money. No idea how much. A Euro Cent?

But I am with most of us: I hate them!

Cheers

Alan

How come the Ju88, He 219 & He111 boxes have lids?

I think it's just to save money. The additional material used in a lidded box is pretty minimal.

I don't like it either but the box design rests on German recycling laws - to keep material waste within limits they (Revell and other manufacturers) are only able to offer packaging that complies with these laws! 

The material isn't in question, the end-opening design is. If you're saying that the amount of material must comply with German laws, then Revell can make the boxes about half their current size to fit their kits better. 

I'd bet that they would change their box design if there were a way to prove it has a negative impact on sales - recycling laws or not. 

D

Even more so with Revell.  One reason I don't work for them anymore.  They'd pinch the blood out of a penny.

They do have bloody good value kits in 1/32.

Not perfect, but they sell very, very well and part of that is down to low prices. I mean, they use side opening boxes to save a couple of cents.

Very German approach to business - don't spend money unless it's an investment that will repay itself in the future.

i know the boxes are a complaint but I always tape the ends of the box shut then take a razor blade and cut a flap in the top of the box. It's functional and can be taped shut if need be.

I'm certainly excited to see this kit and I hope they arrive as planned.

I have no idea why, but that stupid end opening box drives me way crazier that more serious issues in a kit.

Also, like other Revell kits, I!m not in love with the decals, either.

They remind me of cereal boxes, which may actually be better than what Revell provides.

I don't think I've ever seen a Revell kit with decent decals.

But 30 bucks for a really decent 1/32 scale Me-262 is a world class bargain. I'm not sure it even needs much else for a decent OOB build. Yeah, cockpit, wheels, guns, etc will make a show winner, but it'll look great OOB with some EagleCals added.

Actually, the newer kits that I've seen (Bf 109 G-6, G-10, He 111, ECR Tornado and Ju 88A-4), all have excellent decals. The older kits,... not so much.