paul fisher

New RF-8G pics

I'm trying to work up a small set of goodies for F-8's, nosewheels, leg, antennae and such, and if I can I will do up a set of proper Y racks, I just need to make more hours in the day. have another rather nice conversion in the works too, so lots to do

We ran out of photoetch for the RF-8's, more is on the way so it won't be long.

Sorry about that...I don't buy as much P/E up front as I used to as we can never tell how well a particular model will sell.

Paul

Excellent. Can't wait for my set in the mail. ;) 

got mine today and fondled it carefully, the RF8G that is, but i'm still "confused" on which basic Crusader, the E or the J version (i have 'em both) i should be using in respect to the larger horizontal tail??

Any final solution?

TIA

Jack.

Harv, thanks for the info, but somewhere i learned that the RF versions had the larger tailplane planform, and that would be consistent with the "J" version release.

And indeed at first i also thought the "E" trump release would be THE kit to start this conversion with.

anyhow, looking at my building pace, this conversion will be completed when the proverbial hell freezes over........ :doh:

According to the RF-8G Flight Manual, mentioned earlier in this thread, the tail span was 18' 2.4", same as the F-8E. The J had a tail span of 19' 4".

Jari

I just saw this post. Great news on the other F-8 parts, particularly the Y racks. Thanks for this!

Bill M.

I'm trying to work up a small set of goodies for F-8's, nosewheels, leg, antennae and such, and if I can I will do up a set of proper Y racks, I just need to make more hours in the day. have another rather nice conversion in the works too, so lots to do

Harv, thanks for the info, but somewhere i learned that the RF versions had the larger tailplane planform, and that would be consistent with the "J" version release.

And indeed at first i also thought the "E" trump release would be THE kit to start this conversion with.

anyhow, looking at my building pace, this conversion will be completed when the proverbial hell freezes over........ :doh:

There has been a lot of confusion about the tailplanes on the RF-8, the high point being the falsehood that the tailplanes were actually reduced in size to make the plane go faster. This has never been proven.

The F-8J got the larger UHT to go along with the "Double Droop" wing leading edge. This was an effort to improve pitch authority to allow lower speeds (for the French F-8E(FN)) and higher weights (For the F8U-3). The F8U-1P and RF-8G did not get these mods. One other thing i forgot was the double droop also got BLC to go with it, which Crusader pilot Tom Weinel characterized as a 1200 pound mistake.

So.... the answer is the "E" model should be the starting point.

-d-

Excellent. Muwahahahahahahaha!!

There has been a lot of confusion about the tailplanes on the RF-8, the high point being the falsehood that the tailplanes were actually reduced in size to make the plane go faster. This has never been proven.

The F-8J got the larger UHT to go along with the "Double Droop" wing leading edge. This was an effort to improve pitch authority to allow lower speeds (for the French F-8E(FN)) and higher weights (For the F8U-3). The F8U-1P and RF-8G did not get these mods. One other thing i forgot was the double droop also got BLC to go with it, which Crusader pilot Tom Weinel characterized as a 1200 pound mistake.

So.... the answer is the "E" model should be the starting point.

-d-

Ok that should clear that up, thanks for the info David!!