The gods were at it again! Original issue Revell 32nd P-51B!

Astro32

Our very own Ironwing did a similar mod a few years ago. It's called modeling, and I say do it!

It's a great kit to get stuck into! It's not expensive, it needs work anyway, you'll make something unique, you'll enjoy the sense of satisfaction & you'll get a bit of nostalgia into the bargain.

That's far more fun than building the latest kit OOB.

Sooner or later, and I'm hoping for sooner, we'll have a current 1/32 scale P-51B. I'm in for a min of 2, and I can easily see the need for a few more added to my stash.

Joel

I wouldn't be surprised if Revell comes out with a B model. Why, they reissue many of their old warbirds in their portfolio and as I remember the Bf 109 was first release as the vintage model followed by the new models. Gents I'm patient because I have a huge stock that is waiting to be build and for sure I'm not buying the latest release if the model has major issues. Nowadays they are fantastic resource to do it right, imagine one of the producer announce that JR is in the team..what a pipe dream and time for me to leave the balcony because the sun is burning my brain.... :D

Edited by Ralph-D

I say go ahead and build it! It's a fairly quick build if you go OOB and just add new wheels (that's a must) and some extra details in the cockpit. I have one that I've made into a 2-seat 'hack' and it's not a bad kit. Just devoid of details (shape issues notwithstanding).

Later,

Lee

I know what I'll do! I'll blow $$$$$$$ on a Tamiya -D as a parts source! :frantic: :mental:

I may get an old Hase kit for the nose and a few other bits. G-Factor gear & whoever makes the best wheel set, and the Aires resin kits as I mentioned before. And some good line drawings in 32nd scale. I think I'll have a winner there.

I know what I'll do! I'll blow $$$$$$$ on a Tamiya -D as a parts source! :frantic: :mental:

I may get an old Hase kit for the nose and a few other bits. G-Factor gear & whoever makes the best wheel set, and the Aires resin kits as I mentioned before. And some good line drawings in 32nd scale. I think I'll have a winner there.

:lol: LOL! You just made a whole bunch of people's faces twitch uncontrollably!!!! LOL!!!! Me, I'm laughing hard!!! I can hear Tamiya model engineers talking; "Hey some clazy Amelican cut up our model and put on old Levell Mustang kit! Amelicans clazy people! Let's go get some flied lice and saki!"

The only problem is that after all that, you'll still end up with a Revell Mustang that's really showing its age. Given a choice I'd still go with the Trumpeter kit.

Joel

I'm not too concerned with shapes and minute details as a rule, but for me the Trumpy -B is not in the cards. They got the quarter window shape so off I can't get past it. And the other proportions & shapes of the fuselage don't cut it. For all it's faults and age, the Revell -B, from the firewall back, is pretty darned good. It's the nose and wheels and gear wells that really throw it off. Ironically the Trumpy kit did no better with the gear wells 40+ years on. Go figure. However if the canopy area were better I wouldn't be too concerned; that was the nail in the coffin for me - what is most immediately visible.