The gods were at it again! Original issue Revell 32nd P-51B!

Astro32

While out on my rounds today, waiting for drywall mud to cure (bathroom remodel), I found a near-mint Revell P-51B kit, from 1969! Not long after it was first issued, I pestered my folks to buy me one. I received the usual Hairy Eyeball Mk 1. I think it was $2.99 and they thought I was nuts to ask for such an expensive kit. :mental:

Okay, now what!? Looks like from the firewall back, basic shape appears good. Clear parts are in excellent condition so I think I'll use them after removing all the lumps from them for the movable side glass, etc. Obviously the pilot's office and the gear bays are a joke. And the exit door for the radiator isn't even represented, just some U-shaped piece inside the fuselage that looks wrong. I'm considering waiting for the new-tool Revell -D to rob it of it's nose, radiator fairings & bits, gear bays, etc. to have myself a good looking -B. Thoughts?

My thoughts are I am so very happy that I do not care about such details. I am not a fine scale modeler. I just want a model that closely resembles the real thing and I am pleased if it does just that. If one looking at the finished model recognizes what he or she is looking at then I am happy. It is fine with me if the model resembles the real thing. You and others who model like you do need  for it to more closely resemble the real thing so that is what you strive for. 

As it is if we all do our own thing with respect to the models we all will be happy with the hobby. 
So enjoy what you are doing and model on.
Stephen
Well, you did ask for my thoughts, didn't you?

Or wait for HK and save yourself a lot of work.

Jennings, I so hope you are right. I absolutely believe a new tool relatively (or absolutely) would be near to a license to steal. Every time the possibility of a new "B/C" is raised the response here seems to be tremendous. We have enough D's already. HK should be able to pop one out without a lot of strain. Keep is simple. Good cockpit, no engine, alternate exhausts and canopies, no need to open the gun bays. 

OBTW, Geoff says Hi!.

Dick Brice

I've been toying with the idea of doing the Trumpeter P-51B kit with the Aires cockpit and wheel wells.  From what I've read, the overall shape of the fuselage is ok, it's the fact that there isn't a laminar airfoil to the wing. fixing that if it's even possible is way above my modeling skills. But I figure when I finish this build (scheduled for late this year), that HK will release theirs. Naturally, I'll jump at buying at least two.

Joel

• 1 month later...

From what I've read, the overall shape of the fuselage is ok, it's the fact that there isn't a laminar airfoil to the wing.

Joel

The wing looks okay to me. I can live with it. The most obvious shape issues would be the nose and that the rudder break line is off; easy enough. The nose I'm wondering what to do. I've already cut the sections off, and I don't know what would be the best donor for an accurate shape. I might wait for Revell's new-tool -D and go with that. The gear wells and the office can be dealt with using Aires & Eduard sets. Wheels & landing gear are not a problem. Plenty to choose from.