In COD we trust - Grumman C-2A Greyhound - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Ben, you'll have to do a complete carrier deck to accomodate all your Navy birds...

Question: Were the C-2s assigned to specific carrier air wings??

Cheers

Rainer

Each squadron (VRC-30 and VRC-40) send detachments with the carrier air wings when the deploy. VRC-30 has a permanent det based with the air wing at Atsugi, but technically still fall under the squadron umbrella at North Island NAS. Each detachment typically consists of two aircraft and around 60 personnel.

Wish I could design CAD stuff, I would love to get something like this going. I am planning a scratch build, not the Savage (on hold until I get better drawings), something a bit easier..Russian.

Can't wait to see this progress! :)

Sorry for replying so late, folks - I am a bit sick since a few days and had loads of other things to do. Great to have you here, I'll do my best not to disappoint you.

I have made entirely new drawings in the meantime as I have received Grumman factory drawings which should help me to build a more accurate replica. The parts will be lasercut and should be available within the next few days. I'll assemble the new skeleton right away and show you a comparison with the first version - I hope it'll be worth the extra work and money. 

Edited by Starfighter

Ben

I'm looking forward to seeing your improvements in the 2nd set. While I'll never have the skills needed for scratch building or even a major conversion, just following along is experience that is most rewarding.

Joel

Respectfully disagree with this statement.   Your F4F build shows that you are already halfway there.

Lee,

Thanks so much for that ego building compliment, but it's the other half that seems next to impossible to attain.

Joel

There is absolutely no doubt you can scratchbuild, Joel - just give it a try. You'll see, it's fun! 

Here is a quick look at the new skeleton by the way:

Grumman_Zusammenbau.png

The new parts will be available within next week. Pretty curious to see how they'll turn out!

Pity, that all those glorious colors will be lost under the skin... ;-)

Cheers

Rainer

Joel, please do so - i'd love to see the result! 

I have received the new lasercut parts yesterday - here's a crappy pic showing the difference between the new skeleton in front of the old one. 

IMG_1734.jpg

The screenshot illustrates some of the shape differences between the new skeleton based on Grumman drawings and the old one based on the Kinetic kit. The length is identical, I just didn't align them properly.

Vergleich.png

All I need is some bench time now!

Ben,

What a huge difference. I'm going to assume that the wing spar shape in the Grumman based skeleton is how they actually constructed the aircraft, while the kinetic one is because the wing is a completely separate assembly.

Joel