In COD we trust - Grumman C-2A Greyhound - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Hmmmm.  You may be right about the fuselage cross section.  It looks like in the photo above you are missing the flat-bottomed, squashed egg shape so characteristic of these airplanes.  The center section looks too svelte and E-2ish when it should look more like me without a shirt.

21 hours ago, Derek B said:

Wow, this is some project Ben...is there no stopping you? :)

Derek

There are two things which regularly stop me - my wallet and my schedule... Oh, and the fact that I don't have enough space for all the silly things I'd like to build! :D 

18 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Hmmmm.  You may be right about the fuselage cross section.  It looks like in the photo above you are missing the flat-bottomed, squashed egg shape so characteristic of these airplanes.  The center section looks too svelte and E-2ish when it should look more like me without a shirt.

You are right. And the transitions between the different shapes are not right. I do of course have the fuselage cross sections; I will use them to check the shapes of the printed model. If it'll turn out to be too difficult to correct, I will use my handmade fuselage. 

• 1 year later...

This one is not forgotten either. I have put quite some effort into the previously printed fuselage - i.e. hours of sanding to tweak the shape - but I decided it would make much more sense to redo the entire aircraft from scratch. As you may remember,  I was lucky to get my hands on drawings use by the Grumman model shop to build their own in-house Greyhound scale models which I will be using for my model. Those probably the most accurate references one can obtain at the moment as the factory drawings of the real thing are still pretty much secret as the Greyhound is still in active service. 

screenshot2022-05-201m3kkt.jpg

The aim is to obtain surfaces as close to perfection as possible. This requires many individual sketches and a lot of tweaking. The Greyhound fuselage is defined by many characteristic curves which need to be spot on to capture the look of the real a/c. The experience gained with the Vigi (which will be finished as well!) has helped a lot. The engine nacelles will be fun as well - but they will come in handy for my Hawkeye (which is still sitting on the shelf of doom as well...).

screenshot2022-05-2013ejcy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost no progress at the moment due to a severe lack of time... the rear of the fuselage requires a bit more attention, but we're getting there. The transition between fuselage and wings was pretty complex to design but I think I finally got ir more or less right. 

screenshot2022-06-031ndjzp.jpg