Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP. November 12, 2022, It is DONE at last!!!!!!!!

Citadelgrad

Working away, its suddenly not sweltering on the west coast, so i dont need to wait for sundown to use the garage. 
WN9yST.jpg

sWTJvu.jpg

ZnhVCQ.jpg

B7zIZZ.jpg

spotted  a thumb print on the bottom of the cowl, its on the list to fix

rtAnKx.jpg

A lot of the pastel is still hiding in areas i havent cleaned up yet. No rush here. This is los stress for me, anything i dislike can be erased. 

Test before spraying lacquer clear over decals.  I have had it cause them to lift and buckle before.  I always use acrylic clear over decals for that reason. There may be some combos of lacquer paint and decal maker that go together fine, but I haven’t systematically tried to find them.  I just use acrylic.

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

Test before spraying lacquer clear over decals.  I have had it cause them to lift and buckle before.  I always use acrylic clear over decals for that reason. There may be some combos of lacquer paint and decal maker that go together fine, but I haven’t systematically tried to find them.  I just use acrylic.

Thanks for the heads up, Alex. I have a nice big decal on my mule that I used the exact same primer, paint, clear, and decal solutions. It will tell me if I need to worry. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I have had the opposite experience. I have found that light mist coats of flat lacquer over decals that were completely dried overnight cause no issues. The one piece of advice that I can agree with is test on your mule first!!!!!! Looking great…..

Thor    :ph34r:

3 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

I have had the opposite experience. I have found that light mist coats of flat lacquer over decals that were completely dried overnight cause no issues. The one piece of advice that I can agree with is test on your mule first!!!!!! Looking great…..

Thor    :ph34r:

That brings up a question.   Should i seal this with a clear, then a matte, or just proceed straight to matte?   

2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Right, but should there be a gloss to seal this weathering first, or finish weathering and hit it with matte?

What I do is seal panel line wash with semi-gloss then do your oil weathering and seal with your desired top coat. I prefer to do oils over a semi gloss because, for me, it's easier to control but others prefer to do oils over gloss. Test on your mule.

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Test before spraying lacquer clear over decals.  I have had it cause them to lift and buckle before.

Decals are made with lacquer based inks and if they are properly bonded to the gloss clear under them they should be unaffected by a lacquer top coat. In fact, there are some guys who will overspray decals with Mr. Color thinner as a setting solution.

Im at a crossroads.   The frontmost white invasion stripe is not letting go of the chalk wash.  Its not terrible, but it doesnt match the rear stripes.  

i was going to, and still plan on some oil streaking, there are two prominent vents right ahead of this area, and ive spent enough time around planes to see that any protrusion tends to leave a mark where the air flows.  I know its a warbird, and would get dirty.  

my issue is this discoloration is confined to the front stripe.  I took some photos.  Its definitely not over weathered, and i am going to add to this which might tone this down. 
Gcs6xk.jpg

wWm6u2.jpg

heres a shot of the whole bottom, its grimier than i wanted at this stage, as i was trying to just do a panel line enhancement. 
h6CVZn.jpg

This part of the paint just grabbed the wash and doesnt want to release it.  

so as i see it i have a few options.   Frequent visitors to this thread know i am not at all above just repainting this, or i could lightly go over this with some of the base coat and white.  That seems overboard, though. I dont want it WHITE!!.  It was probably bright white for about a week.  This paint was a month old or more at the time the plane is depicted. 

i could also grime up the aft white areas to try to cut down on the contrast between the dingy first stripe and the very clean rear stripes. 

or I could just proceed.  But its hard for me to judge this.  I have never weathered a plane before.  Ever.

Is it going to end up just a mudbucket?  Col Gabreski’s plane was kept pretty clean, but it was flown hard and at least the parking area was just dirt and grass.  The bottom was dirty.   Is this too much?

ive spent so much time trying to get this just so, i could use some advice from the massive experience and knowledge here.  

for information, i plan to seal this whenever i decide its done with this stage, then do some light streaking from the various ports, exhausts, gates, likely leak areas.  Nothing like a war weary 24 mission B 17, but not like it just rolled out of the paint shop, either. 

LSP, what do you all think?

sorry to ask, but the great advantage of this forum is, there is about a thousand years worth of experience and knowledge lookimg at this at any given time. 

• Citadelgrad changed the title to Another Hasegawa T bolt Bubbletop, my first LSP, September 19, can i ask for some critique/advice re weathering? Too much at this stage?
2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Im at a crossroads.     But its hard for me to judge this.  I have never weathered a plane before.  Ever.

I look at wartime pix and try to replicat what I see.

If the white stripe is not acrylic, try to remove the wash with 91% alcohol.

Be quick and don't leave it on for long as it does strip other types of

paint also.  You're having too much fun here Bill  ;)

4 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

The frontmost white invasion stripe is not letting go of the chalk wash.

This is exactly the same issue I had with my Wildcat.

Use dish detergent and a brush to remove it. 

That's one of the problems with that kind of pastel wash, unless the surface is smooth and glossy the pigments get trapped in the low areas.

I tried dish soap, dish soap and water, a brush, q tip, paper towel, that staining is not coming off.  I even tried a fine mesh pad.  No joy.  The only effect is i was able to get tiny streaks of brighter white that looks bad. 

so now the question is, which way do i go?   Repair with some base coat and white and start over, or try to even it out with more weathering?