Wingnut Wings DH9A Ninak finished

campingbaer66

Love it. The Ninak one of the few WnW kits I really want but don't have in he stash. Seeing yours makes me want to pull the trigger and get one.

If I may ask, what colours did you use for the struts? I've been struggling to get a nice warm medium wood shade.

@ tbell ,

the base coat for the struts is Tamiya XF-59 desert yellow.

Then I apply a mix of two Griffin Alkyd ( Winsor & Newton fast drying oil colours ) , Yellow Ocre and Burnt Sienna ( appr. 2:1 ) thinned with AK Interactive White Spirit.

Before it starts to dry ( after 30 minutes ) I remove most of the oil with an old stiff brush as long as I think the result is ok to me and I have achived a nice wood like structure.

Sounds complicated , but it's really easy to do.

Big advantage with the Alkyd colours is the drying time , they are completely dry over night and can then be painted over.

I finish wood parts with a clear coat of Tamiya X20 with a little clear yellow and clear orange added. That gives a deep effect to the wood and also a warmer colour.

Peter

Edited by campingbaer66

Thanks! I've been using oils over acrylics for wood tones for some time now and I'm happy with my dark (e.g. mahogany) and light (birch) shades, but never seem to get a medium shade that I like. The best I've been able to come up with is this

QLR%20interior_zpskwgcq2r2.jpg

I'll be trying your colour combos.

Thanks again,

Tony