Ki 84 Hasegawa - Frankly regaling my Gale (pic heavy)

Bruce Hunt

Please forgive the puns.  I'm a Luftwaffe guy and we seldom get such opportunities.

So this subject is unusual for me.  I intended it for a group build with my local IPMS chapter but that deadline came and went six months ago.  Yes I am a speedy builder...not.

Haven't built a Japanese subject in 30 years but I am used to disagreements about color (RLM what?) so I'm feeling reasonably comfortable.  Here goes.
​My subject:

Ki-84_hayate_25-Sentai-1.jpg

Thierry Dekker's profile w/ some additions that I think are warranted:

nakajima-ki-84-dekker01.jpg

Mr. Dekker's profile is very nice but shows some license.  I'm going to try to be a little more faithful to the photograph.  So I'll be attempting a heavily weathered bare metal with a tighter but less proficiently sprayed mottle.

I'm being a little lazy on this one; not going to do much in the way of scratch improvements.  Rather I'm just throwing the available Photo Etch (Eduard Big Sin) and resin (Aires and Quickboost) at it.

I always start with the front office.  My research suggest that internal colors vary depending upon production period;  early = aotaki, mid = dark blue grey,  late = bare metal.  I've gone with mid production but got a little too much green IMHO...oh well who can argue.

The Aires cockpit set did not blow my skirt up.  Usually they are large enough that you have to do a lot of carving to get them to fit, but not so here.  The set is too small IMHO.  I ended up  cutting off many of the details and grafting them onto the kit parts.   In most cases the resin detail wasn't any better than the styrene.  I kept the resin sidewalls however as they were significantly better.

Hayate32_01.jpg

Hayate32_02.jpg

The Eduard photo etch seat is a jewel and I can't say enough about Radu Brinzan's micro fiber belts.

Hayate32_03.jpg

Paint is Tamiya with Vallejo for details.  All the levers and knobs have been removed and replaced with my own.

Since the radio can't really be seen, I just bent up the Eduard photo etch.  It was easier to set in place than the Aires but since you can't see it the better representation of the resin was wasted.

Hayate32_04.jpg

Hayate32_05.jpg

I used the Eduard pre-painted panel which I was reasonably pleased with.

Hayate32_06.jpg

Hayate32_07.jpg

Hayate32_08.jpg

The weathered surfaces on the side walls were 'scuffed up' with a 'cool grey' Prismacolor pencil.  Then the entire structure was pinwashed with Vallejo black wash and dry brushed with neutral grey.

The fuselage can get closed up now and I can move on to some riveting and subtle surface distressing.

While I was waiting for Radu to send my belts, I got some other sub assemblies done.

The Big Sin set had a lot of photo etch to doll these up but the only parts I found useful were for the doors.

The brake lines are lead free fly tying wire with True Detail fittings.

Hayate32_09.jpg

Then on to the power egg.  Again the Big Sin photo etch was IMHO useless.  I did my own wiring harness and some additional minor details, the ones that can be seen anyway.

Hayate32_10.jpg

As with the rest of the airplane, the structural rivets have been added and I've used Alclad as the base for the heavily oxidized aluminum.

Hayate32_11.jpg

So there's my progress to date.  The riveting and distressing will take a while so I won't have much more to post until that's well on it's way.

Hope you enjoy and please don't hesitate to point this old Luftwaffe modeler in the right direction when needed.

Alles Bestens.

b

Your weathering and distressing work its just outstanding

You don't miss a thing do you ? - the subtle riveting topped by your heavily oxidized ali finish is the best I have ever seen - Utterly convincing

How on earth did you get that subtle, really fine granular effect into the "oxidized" aluminium/ aluminum on the cowling ?? Would genuinely appreciate a lesson if you have the he time to tell us how you captured that "look"

Looking forward to more

David