ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Alan

I'm working the DB603 engines and actually starting painting. Actually, I starting to scare myself - no blunders yet!

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks You Peter, so very much appreciated. Painting and air brushing are my favorite part of any build and what I enjoy most. Of course, my blunders seem to be what I dislike the most

Peter

late to the party but great work so far

i have to get mine back on the bench i think

already didt one engine and then i have lost the mojo for a time

keep up the good work another master piece in the works

looking forward to see your engines

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andy - my favorite part of any build - paint work - brush or air brush.

I have to hand it to "The Old Man" a great idea and every manufacture with a nice should take notice of how it should be done.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 2/26/17:  DB603 INVERTED V-12 ENGINES: UNDERWAY

Since starting the Owl, I find myself constantly comparing the ZM Owl to the Tamiya Mossie, two top manufactures, both kits approximately the same purchase price, both kits heavily detailed and both projects seemingly a boatload of work. Each kit's engines are absolutely gorgeous mini models unto themselves and while I'm knee deep in the Daimler Benz engines, some comparisons can be made. To be fair I've built 7 Merlins for various Tamiya kits and these are my first two ZM DB603's. While far from done, there are more differences then similarities.

Instructions: Tamiya's are much closer to traditional kit instructions we are use to, while ZM's are more detailed, calling out parts by name and presented in a book form of that era. The builder needs to be very careful in following the assembly sequence as they are not always in chronological order and sometimes even on other pages; sub headings and then inserts with specific tasks. It does take a fair amount getting use to.

Molding: Tamiya parts are crisper, virtually flash free and lock solid into position with no hunting or sloppiness to fit.

ZM on the other hand, has some flash, especially on the smaller and more delicate parts, with molding lines that need to be cleaned up. I've already missed my share, necessitating going back and cleaning them up; most I've discovered after painting with lots of extra work; the old eyes just ain't what they use to be. I am now using my Ott magnifying lamp 100% of the time so I can located and remove the offending mold lines. Details are a bit on the soft side and determining the exact part location at times was mystifying. There is a fair bit of play with the smaller parts and trying to figure out the exact orientation especially when additional parts will be attached later on, is a bit of a worry and hit or miss. Overall, I would have to say, the ZM DB603's are leading the field in overall detail and the WOW Factor.

On to the engines;

What color is the DB603 engine block anyway? The instructions call out for an unpainted block. In discussing the color with Justin, his research showed all DB603 left the factory painted black. I have photographs of a crated He219 at the Smithsonian from the 1960's, unrestored, showing the block bare cast aluminum. Discussing it further with Justin, he pointed me in the direction of Rick K and with his expertise and additional research, we worked out a possible explanation. Early to mid war production of the DB603, all blocks were painted black but as the war wore on and by the late 1944 this changed, as there were shortages of supplies and materials, with engines leaving the factory unpainted. It is also possible that engines overhauled or replaced in the field were unpainted and this helped explained the photos.

Since my He219 was a pre-production aircraft pressed into service in June of 1943, it most likely had painted engines. The markings for the build are for October 1944, so they could be either way. All the research showed nothing is set in stone.

Up to this point, I've had my issues and struggles with the DB603's in fit and color. Daniel's Zamarbide's book, colors match and don't match the instruction. Carl loaned me a copy of the ZM notes – what a gold mine of information and some colors match the instructions and others do not. So I'm down the middle of the road for my Owl. My biggest shortcoming: my lack of knowledge of Luftwaffe aircraft and nearly no background with Luftwaffe kits. I'm taking all this into account, going slowly and learning as I go. Without Justin, Carl and Rick's help, I would still be at the gate: lost.

So here is as far as I have proceeded with the V-12's. DB603 #1 is close to being done: the topside of the engine still needs all the plumbing and details added and of course, the top is really the bottom and the bottom is really the top, as the engines are installed inverted! DB603 #2: the basic block and some details are on and a good week of work to go. On DB603 # 1, I still have some molding lines to revisit, some parts to paint and both are done, a bit of dry brushing will be in order to highlight the details. One BIG decision I still need to make is how much of the engines I want to show and which cowl panels will be on and which will be off.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

Next Up: Pressing on with the DB603's

_PCW3723_zpsrnfym5sb.jpg

_PCW3724_zpsqwkgo1an.jpg

_PCW3725_zpsypnepksq.jpg

_PCW3726_zpsjzrcjqrk.jpg

_PCW3727_zpsbviacjm4.jpg

The Boys

_PCW3728_zpsqh4thwlj.jpg