ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

There is no Tamiya 219, so it's your choice: ZM or Revell... :tumble:

Both have pros and cons. The fit of the Revell kit is great. That's a pro for sure.

And I like that ZM has added the weights into their kit. Thats a pro for ZM, indeed.

You bird looks nice. I believe it will look even nicer when you have finished it.

Regards

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jim

Greatly appreciated. Yup, the front office and nose section is a pretty busy place and getting everything lined up is a bit tricky. I have my fingers crossed for the next few steps to see how it all comes out.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

JA

Yup, Right with on all accounts. while the details are there, I do appreciate ZM allowing the builder to determine how much of the interior he wants to reveal and display. But as we discussed, the quality of the molding just isn't up to par for a kit in this price range.

All goes well this week, I'll have the nose section attached to the fuselage and all the panel fit and glued into place as well.

I've been practicing the painting technique so when I finally reach the painting stage, I'll have some idea how to do the cammo, as it is opposite as to what we thought. It's going to be a doozy.

Bro

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Very much appreciated

So far, so good and no blunders to report

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi dutik

Much appreciated and making a bit of progress each work session.

My comparison to Tamiya was that of the quality of molding for such expensive and detailed kit. What I just can't understand is why ZM's molding seems to be so far below Tamiya's. Comparing the ZM He 219 to Tamiya's Mossie, both very detailed, expensive and demanding kits,  ZM just lags way behind in the level of their molding and every part has serious molding lines or flash that needs to be removed while Tamiya has almost none. or very little. Tamiya's parts fit and install precisely, while ZM's doesn't. I would rather see ZM invest more of their resources in better molding, part location and instructions and leave out some of the internal details. It's just how I feel at this stage of the build. They could also just make more of the internal parts AM sets as they have already for a lot of the details or upgrades.

Peter

Despite the frustration you are doing great job and it's looking good, though a tad too complicated for me, I prefer the Hasegawa "clean" airframe approach to kits. Maybe ZM should bring out simplified versions of their kits.

Cheers

Dennis

Despite the frustration you are doing great job and it's looking good, though a tad too complicated for me, I prefer the Hasegawa "clean" airframe approach to kits. Maybe ZM should bring out simplified versions of their kits.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

I've read that they're supposed to be bringing out a more basic line of 1/32 scale kits, which are closer to the level of detail of their 1/48 scale line, but nothing seems to have happened with that as yet. And to be perfectly honest about it, I bought their A-1H/J and it's just seating on the stash self as I really don't want all those various compartments opened up, nor have to deal with trying to get a proper fit if I close them up. Also just to much interior detail that will never be seen.  I'm thinking of putting it up for a trade but still on the fence about doing it.

Joel

Peter,

I hear you on the quality of the moldings vs the price for the kit.  incredibly frustrating to spend more time addressing flash than actually buiding.  What is really sad is I made that exact same comment, but I was referring to a Revell kit from 1956!  (That also only cost me $20 ).

So much engineering goes into these kits that the level of expertise needed to pull something like this off, well, it is really high these days.  What I think of in terms of 'well, if Tamiya can do it, why can't ZM', is that Tamiya somehow invested in the right engineering expertise for it's kits.  Not to say ZM, KH, etc didn't try, but certainly Tamiya found a 'better' way of making its molds and the end results speak for themselves.  But I do have to agree - if we are paying well north of $100 for a kit, there is an expectation of a certain level of quality - plastic, instructions, engineering, fit.  

Instructions are maybe a bigger element than I think some manufacturers realize.  But I agree having a variety of views for these complicated builds is a huge help.  I have looked at some of the 'build videos' online but of course they are also of variable help - some are really good and others speed through the build and miss the detail.

It certainly makes me appreciate the Tamiya kits a lot more than I did (and I already thought they were great).

Regardless of the flash and fit issues your front office is still amazing - might be taking you longer than you want, but the results are still there.  The side-panel detail and color is excellent - definitely up to your usual standards.  Seems a shame to have to close up the fuselage around all that detail - but even in these pics, it is very easy to see the fantastic detail you have up there.  Good idea on limiting the open panels, I think.  But you are show is terrific!

Hang in there!

Chris

Peter,

I love the work you've done, your great attention to detail, and the cockpit looks right on! I also appreciate your perspective, since it will help me with my build. In defence of Zoukei Mura, their work has evolved greatly over the years, from the Shinden (their first) and HE-219 (2013) both with their vague location aids and fit, to the D-335 (2016). Their latest has arguably the best engineering, fit, and illustrated instructions of any injection molded kit today. This doesn't in any way counter your observation about the cost of these kits, just that ZM has improved since 2013.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Cheers, Tom

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Don, much appreciated

Seems frustration is my middle name these days and it's time to move forward and get building

Peter

Guest Peterpools

HI Dennis

Very much appreciated. I'm kind of in the middle but absolutely leaning m,ore towards the clean approach. ZM announced that their FW190 would be both a SMS and a Basic kit but I have no idea what that means. Would the Basic kit be the same fuselage as the SMS kit but with out a lot of the details or a entirely new and cleaner fuselage and wings? I'm always in favor of a detailed front office and engine(s) with the cowlings on or off and maybe maybe a the same for the MG's but nothing more.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

JA

I like the idea of the basic kit but not too basic. I always prefer a detailed front office and engine(s) and it should be up to the builder for viewing but removable panels everywhere - not my style.

Bro

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chris 

Thank you so much for the compliments and we are absolutely on the same page. I never mind spending the money for a kit as the enjoyment and satisfaction is the true plus of the build. What bothers me is the sheer amount of work required to keep cleaning everything up and then stumbling through the instructions. I should have included a few images of some of the major parts prior to clean up - might just do that as I approach the next set of assemblies - the wings.

Peter