1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk VIII RAAF

cib2265

Nice progress Chris. I'm impressed by the pilot too. My figure painting skills are still a work in progress.

As you noticed, you do need the cylinder banks to hold the framing in place. You can leave the intercooler and the lower tank off though. Here's what the Merlin in my Grey Nurse VIII looks like:

IMG_20170304_124310.jpg

IMG_20170304_121831.jpg

Hope that helps you on your next build.

Carl

Thanks Carl, yes I'll definitely do that next time (still have a XVI and IX to do), also will likely put a micro motor in there to spin the prop too. Should fit between the cylinder banks.

When I get around to the Mk XII conversion, I'll have a spare complete Merlin to play with  - its a solid resin nose bolted to the front - so I'm looking forward to super detailing one...

Thanks - its only styrene, I'm slowly building my way up to resin pilots as I get a bit more confident with my pilot painting.

I've started the NMF experiments. This is the underside of the SR-71, using 3 primers (Stynlrez grey, Mr Metallic Chrome (kind of like RAF High Speed Silver) and Tamiya X-1 Gloss black) and 7 Alclad aluminium types, plus a second batch with marbling in between (a very dark mix of Extra Dark Sea Gray and Midnight Blue) to try to get some variation in the paint.

SAM_4670_zpsvtgykqox.jpg

Once the weather clears a bit here I'll put the Alclads down and work out which way to go....

• 5 weeks later...

Whoops ive been slacked and haven't uploaded - Im 99% done, just need to add the spinner and pitot tube and repaint the wheel well doors. Here's some more WIP pictures, and then I'll put the finished ones up in the gallery.

Gloss black - Gunze GX2 on most surfaces 
SAM_4704_zpsf6remjqx.jpg

Underside done first:
SAM_4708_zpslq0kghzy.jpg

Different panels done in airframe/duralinium Alclads - you can see some of the preshading still coming through here:

Whole topside down too:
SAM_4711_zpsfdipdffd.jpg

Other angle you can see different panel shades:
SAM_4712_zpsntifhafw.jpg

Polished aluminium added now:
SAM_4713_zpsxqtfarxu.jpg

White tail, leading edge, antiglare panel and markings on - this is all done with masks, no decals:
SAM_4746_zpspymjzip7.jpg

Antislip added and chipped, some touch up done too:
SAM_4747_zpsvft6qlkd.jpg

No troubles with Alclad and masking? Did you seal the Alclad prior airbrushing the national isignia?

That's what bothers me as I always use masks but I would worry about applying them on an NMF finish, the build looks absolutely great by the way, love the pilot.

Cheers

Dennis