Maestro Models (print) Pattern roll for Aircraft interiors

Lars Befring

Hi!

Seeing a question on another forum about how to make the interior matting for helicopters and some airplanes got me thinking (sometimes you have to even if it hurts) 

What about making a pattern roll for those kind of mattings? something like this:

nTLgIA5.jpg

flatten your milliput, roll your pattern, cut to size and voila: InstaMatting!

What do you think? and what sizes and patterns would be needed? The example is 4 cm wide but could be modified to suit the wanted pattern

/Lars

That is cool!! I wonder what other patterns you could make for aircraft? Maybe PSP matting? Or wood decking? Interesting.....

Tim

You mean mean man!   :D Figuring out how to make a PSP-roller has taken a lot of the night (not yet there yet but it is close)

I made a roller to replicate the matting in a Swedish Boeing Vertol in 1/48 scale for a fellow modeller:

VRKZypx.jpg

YpsLcus.jpg

JGUNy4V.jpg

we will see how he likes it =)

/L

Wow that looks great so far!! I'm certainly no expert, but I would think the toughest part would be figuring out what diameter to make the roller so that the end seams alternate with the correct spacing. 

I might also suggest making the holes punch into the medium as deep voids, so the modeler can apply their choice of groundcover material and sift it down into the holes at varying levels. You probably already thought of that, though. You clearly know what you are doing.

Thanks for that! I figured the math part was harder.

I think if the holes were about 5 mm deep, that would be deep enough at 1/32 scale to fill with groundcover, but not so deep that the roller would distort the hole coming back out. 

Of course, all of this is assuming that a ham-fisted dope like me could actually roll it across the putty, or clay, or whatever, with even pressure!

Tim

Lars, great idea on the interior matting for helicopters. I cannot help you figure out the measurements as i don't know how large or small are the real things. There are several guys on ARC helicopter forum that might help you with correct measurements from different helo's. You should post it there...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/forum/17-helicopter-modeling/

I am a lazy boy. I prefer to get a ready-to-use sheet of soft, flexible, easy to cut "matting" of "quilted" surface pattern instead of fussing around with Milliput, rollers and all that "complicated" stuff. But thats just me. Other people may be fine with surface rollers.

Ragards

- dutik

• 6 months later...

Lars,

Fng brilliant and SOO many possibilities!  Zimmert for the armor folks, the various seat contours for aircraft, et al., Of course the matting inside the bombers, diamond plate.

BTW don't forget aircraft carrier decking.  Saw a model with laser cut wood at last night's meeting, but there was not a lot of skill in cutting it out and laying it down.

Love it, just love it and I'd buy a pattern just to try it out on something.

:punk:  :clap2:  :bow: