1/35 HH-65C USCG

Neo

Hi Guys

For my anual de-lurking on lsp! i present you my wingless flying build ! I will be building the newish Trumpeter 1/35 HH-65C in the Us Coast Gard Red liveries.

The HH65- is a helicopter i really love and was around allot when i grew up. I live on a sail boat in the Caribbean and these guys where around allot and often made port in Trinidad where ive visited their ship and drooled over their chopper! 

I will be building this one strait OOB using mostly Humbrol enamel. There are a lot of contradictions on the actual color of these helos, from searching the web most say MM Chevy engine Red is the correct color but im not sure they make it in enamels  im going to have to run to the hobby shop to check it out. The instruction call out Humbrol 19 but having just painted my 1967 mustang with that specific color i dont think its accurate.

So ive slowly started cleaning up parts and done some minor assembly and a panel line wash on the floors. 

20170116_205156%20%281280x720%29.jpg?dl=

Ive also been doing tons of small assemblies, and shot a coat of gloss black over all the engine parts in preparation for some alcad.

the engines are painted Aluminium, and jet exhaust, im really not happy how the jet exhaust came out, its really dark. so im going to go over it with some burnt iron and go from there 

20170213_204209_HDR%20%281280x641%29.jpg

While building ive hit 2 little snags, the firs has shonw below is that if you install the round parts in the location pins then put the cover on they do not align.  i had to cut then off and realing them. nothing serious 

correction_small.jpg?dl=0

the other one was the main cabin door, it required lots of shaving to manage to fit in the hole, agin really not an issue as im sure most ppl will build it open to see the interior

well that all for now. im pretty much at a paint stage and this can take a while since i dont get much long periods at the bench making painting more dificult

Cheers

Edited by Neo

MM Chevy engine Red B-2731  Is a enamel from Model Master FYI   Caracal Models calls for FS12197 International Orange

http://caracalmodels.com/cd32018.html

Keep posting on this. As I have been thinking of picking one up. Have the decals for a Los Angles bird, Now at Point Mugu NAWS down the street

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

i loved seeing these as a kid over lake michigan, such a distinct sound with the fan style tailrotor

Caracal Models has markings for Traverse City MI  also CGAS Borinquen Pureto Rico, Huston and New Orlleans to name a few

MM Chevy engine Red B-2731 Is a enamel from Model Master FYI Caracal Models calls for FS12197 International Orange

http://caracalmodels.com/cd32018.html

Keep posting on this. As I have been thinking of picking one up. Have the decals for a Los Angles bird, Now at Point Mugu NAWS down the street

Thanks for the mm number the only one i had fpund was the acrylic version.

Im also contemplating gettin Mr Paint insignia red. But i cant find a canadian source or decent shipping rates.

For decals i wish someone would make ship bord ones since those are the ones i grew up with. The looked awesome on top of a white USCG ship in Trinidad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys 

quick update. I had a small surgery to the nose last monday so progress is sloooow, no im not going to look like Micheal Jackson! its to prevent sleep apnea !

i did manage to fiddle around and get the decals on the id done with some small switch painting.

i also painted the seats and added some band aid's to the top to simulate the padding.  i did experiment painting after installing the band aids... and its turning out a little harder than plan to hide that beautiful brown! 

hh-65C%20seats%20and%20ip.jpg?dl=0

So i cant wear my breather mask, and im pretty sure paint fumes on healing woulds is not a great mix airbrushing is postponed for a little while ! 

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Neo

Looking great, those control panels are flawless. I'm looking forward to sitting back and enjoying this build.

Thanks i cant take all the credit some of it is decals! 

Top notch modeling

Thank you , coming from the chopper master im blushing! 

Nice start. I love these USCG color schemes. I should grab one of these this year as it looks like a great kit.

Thanks , i still remember one evening in the Bahamas when a USCG chopper made and extreme low pass checking out or sailboat name, it was amazing with the rotor wash in the water  :wub:

little update 

i finished the seats well i tough i did! 

Seats.jpg?dl=0

looking at reference pictures i notice i forgot to put the sides on that also need the band aid treatment! oups 

i also painted the PE seatbelts as soon has i finis the side i will put them on

Guest Peterpools

Very nice start on the HH-65 and looking forward to following your progress. I see that Oliver already checked in and when it comes to Helicopter Modeling: he is the Main Man.

Keep 'em coming

Peter