Airborne re-supply

JRutman

Thanks for noticing the mods I did with these guys. Yes,the diet of late war Germans was not very good. Much is made of how little our airmen POWs were fed but the truth is,the whole German nation was not eating much,including the soldiers.  Most figure manufacturers don't get enough baginess into the pants and it is sure from looking at wartime pics that the uniforms all had a very generous cut in the trousers. Would you like to see a picture of the figs with the additions I added and before paint?

J

Yes, your construction images are very interesting.  Nutrition and the young age of many of the soldiers would lend more towards thinner figures.  

Wow. What a great snap shot in time Jerry. I was fortunate to travel the planet in my working career. I made it to the little town/village of LaGleize. (2003). There is an awesome museum in LaGleize and a brilliant Royal King tiger tank just outside the museum. I recall the local Villagers traded a bottle of alcohol for the Tank. The typical Americans had no choice but to trade up? Lol.

I recall reading about the tiger tank in a book I purchased sometime before my visit. I couldn't recall the name of the village of LaGleize but the night before I left Brussels for my visit to Bastone, I called my son to ask him to look it up in a book I have.. My son managed to find the book on my bookshelf, he located the heavy tank section in the book and he told me the name of the village. The next day I called my son to let him know I was sitting on the awesome King Tiger 88 barrel. One of my favorite pictures. My friend I was with took a picture of me talking to my son on a flip phone informing him that I found the village and the tank and a job well done.

Love your work Jerry. Always an inspiration to the rest of us.

Troy

Wow. What a great snap shot in time Jerry. I was fortunate to travel the planet in my working career. I made it to the little town/village of LaGleize. (2003). There is an awesome museum in LaGleize and a brilliant Royal King tiger tank just outside the museum. I recall the local Villagers traded a bottle of alcohol for the Tank. The typical Americans had no choice but to trade up? Lol.

I recall reading about the tiger tank in a book I purchased sometime before my visit. I couldn't recall the name of the village of LaGleize but the night before I left Brussels for my visit to Bastone, I called my son to ask him to look it up in a book I have.. My son managed to find the book on my bookshelf, he located the heavy tank section in the book and he told me the name of the village. The next day I called my son to let him know I was sitting on the awesome King Tiger 88 barrel. One of my favorite pictures. My friend I was with took a picture of me talking to my son on a flip phone informing him that I found the village and the tank and a job well done.

Love your work Jerry. Always an inspiration to the rest of us.

Troy

I was also at the village back in the 1980s before the tank had a decent paint job on it. The museum was closed that day unfortunately I had to take your story down a bit but the barrel you were sitting on is actually the distal portion of a 75mm Panther main gun that was welded on well after the war. They wanted a better looking artifact I suppose. It was pretty common in Dec44 for the allies to cut the barrels off German tanks in their zones just in case the original owners got back to claim them..  Thanks so much for your very generous words of praise though.

J

I was fortunate to travel the planet in my working career. I made it to the little town/village of LaGleize. (2003). There is an awesome museum in LaGleize and a brilliant Royal King tiger tank just outside the museum.

Was there 3 years ago with my son as part of our "Band of Brothers" tour. It was pouring, and the museum was closed, but the Tiger II was still there. I recall there is something "wrong" with it (wrong tracks? some road wheels missing?). The Malmedy Musuem is about 30 minutes from there. Stopped at the memorial despite the rain and made sure my boy knew the story of the infamy Herr Peiper and his band of swine committed on unarmed prisoners.

Going back to the museum in LaGleize. There is a really emotional message left by an SS officer on a blackboard he wrote down on a classroom school house. I can't remember what's is all said but it really made you think about war and what it did to a lot of young men at the time. It was haunting to read. I recall this message still from over 15 years ago. I think I was in LaGleize in the early 2000's when I was recovering some Sebena aircraft out of Brussels after the airline collapsed.

Great topic Jerry. What's next???

Troy