Airborne re-supply

JRutman

A almost unknown event occurred right before Christmas in LeGleize Belgium,when the 1SS PzDivs armored group,surrounded and out of gas plus running low on ammo was re-supplied from the air.

Well,almost re-supplied. About 5 or 6 Ju52s took off from Germany at night but maybe one or two actually arrived over the hilltop town,guided in by MG tracer burst fired straight up into the murky misty night skies. Most of the canisters fell into the USArmy cordon. Just enough fuel was recovered to power the radio generators and move a few tanks into better firing positions. Almost no ammo was recovered.

My little vignette tries to capture the feeling the poor sods had that were instructed to recover the canisters from no mans' land. Under fire and dragging a lot of weight,it was a crappy detail to draw,I'm sure. The two draggers are from the PzGren Bn in the battle group and the NCO giving them cover is from the tank Regt. Details were gleaned from the outstanding "Duel in the Mist" series of books. The figs are all heavily modified and the canister is all scratchbuilt. I found excellent color pics of a surviving example online. I discovered too late that the body of the canister had stiffening grooves in it. Ah well,the best laid plans ......

Please have a look,

JIMG_1486_zpst3lz3zt4.jpg

IMG_1491_zpsxc9ixznb.jpg

IMG_1492_zps0kckdw4c.jpg

IMG_1493_zpsyul2jmrt.jpg

IMG_1494_zpswqfdtnvi.jpg

IMG_1495_zps4yzsrol0.jpg

The thin look of your figures in baggy clothes are similar to many photos I've seen.  It seems more realistic than the stocky looking production figures.

Thanks for noticing the mods I did with these guys. Yes,the diet of late war Germans was not very good. Much is made of how little our airmen POWs were fed but the truth is,the whole German nation was not eating much,including the soldiers.  Most figure manufacturers don't get enough baginess into the pants and it is sure from looking at wartime pics that the uniforms all had a very generous cut in the trousers. Would you like to see a picture of the figs with the additions I added and before paint?

J