1/32 Wirraway

DerekB

• 1 year later...

OK, work on the physical model has slowed to a crawl, but some CAD work is still happening...

The rear seat in the Wirraway can spin around and face reverse, so the observer can use the rear gun, sight and shoot the camera or lie on the floor to use the bomb-sight. To do this, the rear seat is mounted on a complex frame with a rotating mechanism at the centre of its base. Here is my almost-complete CAD model of the frame, soon to be sent to Shapeways for them to do their magic.

49407529701_b6bf82e6e3_o.png

Wirraway 32 rear seat frame CAD model by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

And here's a view of the lower part of the rear seat support framework and pivot in A20-10:

49407852037_1873ce4322_c.jpg

P1040098 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

Edited by DerekB

• 7 months later...

With COVID-19 lockdowns going on in Melbourne, I've been physically separated from this build (which lives on my yacht in Geelong) for several months! I'm currently doing CAD modelling of the fuselage sides, to check if it will be easier to 3D-print new sides rather than sculpting the fabric panels into the Texan kit fuselage side moldings, although that might still be a possibility. 

I'm also playing with a 1/72 Wirraway build... might post that on "Non-LSP Works" at some point in the near future...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Derek,

I've got a 1/32 Wirraway solid master here and I might be interested in doing a deal for parts swapping and contributions towards your project. Perhaps casting my fuselage / wings? 

This is only an 'idea' right now... not sure how this would work , but thought I'd throw it out there and see if it sticks...

I can supply photos if interested..

Thanks

Pip

Edited by Piprm

Derek

Donl;t want to speak out of turn, but Phil (Piprm) is being modest - He mastered the Wings Vacuform Boomerang in 1/32 and was going to offer the Wirraway as a follow up kit in 1/32 but life got in the way

I have the Wings Boomerang - it's a beauty - Phil is a terrific bloke and an accomplished super-detailer and modeller - He could probably save you a lot of research time time and headaches ... He's up here in sunny Brisbane

kind regards

David

1 hour ago, flightline said:

Derek

Donl;t want to speak out of turn, but Phil (Piprm) is being modest - He mastered the Wings Vacuform Boomerang in 1/32

Do you mean the FM Models kit? I have one of those too. Haven't seen one branded as Wings, though.

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Do you mean the FM Models kit? I have one of those too. Haven't seen one branded as Wings, though.

Kev

Yeah - That's right Kev FM Models - I believe Tasman? and is it Kiwi Wings? ( its been so long) anyways, they copied and rescaled my master ( with my permission of course) though- I can't say the same for Alley Cat... :blowup:

Pip

p.s Thanks Dave for the kind words...

Edited by Piprm
additions

15 minutes ago, Piprm said:

Yeah - That's right Kev FM Models - I believe Tasman? and is it Kiwi Wings? ( its been so long) anyways, they copied and rescaled my master

Interesting! I have the Kiwi Wings 1/48 kit, which I believe from memory is short-run injected plastic. So that's based on your 1/32 masters, eh?

Kev

On 9/7/2021 at 8:43 PM, Piprm said:

Hi Derek,

I've got a 1/32 Wirraway solid master here and I might be interested in doing a deal for parts swapping and contributions towards your project. Perhaps casting my fuselage / wings? 

This is only an 'idea' right now... not sure how this would work , but thought I'd throw it out there and see if it sticks...

I can supply photos if interested..

Thanks

Pip

Hi Pip,

sounds interesting, let's follow up via PM. 

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly working on the 3D model of the fuselage. A while back I obtained the factory drawing of the firewall, so I decided to re-do this section of my drawing, which I had previously scaled from photos and factory drawings of the steel-tube framework. Now I'm much happier with the front end of the CAD model. 

The drafting is somewhat slow, as each strip along the fabric side panels follows a slightly different curve, and I have to locate each one of these individually in "mid-air" as I go. The lines in lime green are complete and will be used to form the 3D "skin" once I have them all done. Here's where I'm up to so far:

51509688928_944a4c6b1d_c.jpg

I'm also waiting on a prototype cowl to come back from Shapeways...