Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

I would love a Westland Whirlwind but Special Hobby are not for me.  I know some people love to knock badly fitting and engineered kits into shape but that is not what I like to do as I just find it frustrating and annoying.   Work is enough stress for me without a fight with a kit.   

I do look forward to seeing build threads of this kit though and admire your work.

Albury Modeller, care to elaborate here?

There is no fairing as such where the rear wing joins the fuselage, the fuselage just drops down and joins the upper wing at close to a right angle. The fuselage section then transforms to an oval shape at the transport break a bit further aft. They appear to have made a nice typical curved out fairing, as have all kits previously. I am happy to be proven wrong .

I am just damn happy to have gotten back into the hobby in 2003 and that we are being blessed with so many new and exotic subjects in our preferred scale!! 

This will be a big bird when all built up! 

Apropos twin engines... I just hope that we will be blessed with an IM 1/32 Me 410 at some point... 

Cheers

Alan

Oh yes!!!

lqQ6Fe.jpg

Am just curious, would those bombs have been greenbronze with a yellow or white forward section?? They seem pretty beat up actually! Are they 500lbs RAF standard bombs? The reason I am asking, I want to expand my weathering skills soon on some RAF bombs for a small display and since I know next to nothing about RAF ordnance I thought I would ask.... the bombs seem to be a perfect canvas to expand weathering skills... 

Spend a lot of time holidaying in Dorset especially at a place called Moreton. This is just down the road from where RAF Warmwell was. This was at one time, the home  of 263sq. Next door to the caravan site we stay at, is a pub which has photos on the walls of the Whirlwinds and Typhoons that were based there.

After seeing these photos for the first time, I've wanted to build a 32 scale Whirlwind and a car door Tiffie. Looks like Special Hobby is going to grant me my wish.

Barry,

It is clear you never had the Yak or the Tempest in your hands. Current Special Hobby kits are as easy to assemble as any Japanese or Chinese kit.

The H75 or Buffalo are belonging to another era. Fortunately!

T.

I did actually build the Yak.  I found a lot of fit problems and spent more time sanding and scraping that kit than all my previous 10 builds combined (Tamiya, HKM and Trumpeter - all 1/32).   I did not enjoy the experience at all.  My previous SH kits were the Aircobra and Fiat G50bis.  The latter was the best of the three but I did not enjoy even that.

• 2 months later...