Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

That’s great news, thanks for sharing your impressions. Mine is winging its way to me from Sprue Brothers. Wish the Valiant Wings Whirlwind reference was still in print!

Cheers,  Tom

“The basic feature of the Whirlwind was its concentration of firepower: its four closely-grouped heavy cannon in the nose had a rate of fire of 600 lbs/ minute–which, until the introduction of the Beaufighter, placed it ahead of any fighter in the world. Hand in hand with this dense firepower went a first-rate speed and climb performance, excellent manoeuvrability and a fighting view hitherto unsurpassed. The Whirlwind was, in its day, faster than the Spitfire down low and, with lighter lateral control, was considered to be one of the nicest “twins” ever built... From the flying viewpoint, the Whirlwind was considered magnificent.” Philip J. R. Moyes, Aircraft Profile No. 191: The Westland Whirlwind (1967).

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused about the correct position of the lap strap fixing to the seat.  The Eduard instructions for the 1/48 model I am using, as the Kitsworld 3d set has none, show it on the side towards the rear of the seat pan, which is where I would have expected it to be.  However, the pilot notes show what looks like the fixing much further forward (less than a foot from the front of the seat pan).  Anyone able to clarify which is correct?  

On 6/26/2021 at 9:21 PM, Uncarina said:

Wish the Valiant Wings Whirlwind reference was still in print!

Cheers,  Tom

Hi

I wouldnt worry much, to many errors in it for me 

best reference is the whirlwind fighter project website

they are building a 1:1 scale replica 

cheers

jerry 

• 1 year later...